Working as part of the Quality Assurance department the responsibility of this role includes the accurate costing of new and existing products and the successful identification and execution of value analysis and value engineering principles, where required, across the Group product portfolio.
This will include investigating the most effective design, assembly and production methods to promote the best, most cost efficient design to maximise profit, whilst maintaining quality that exceeds our customer’s expectation.
Previous engineering experience within a metal fabrication facility would be highly desirable, but experience of engineering and costings gained in other manufacturing disciplines will be considered. It would also be advantageous to have an understanding of casting methods and casting design.
- Ensure the accurate costing for new products, design changes and/or improvements by estimating the material used, process time and overheads. Where required provide the purchasing team with costing information to assist with negotiations.
- Participate in product concept design reviews to ensure the most production efficient designs are considered from project outset and compile initial costings for commercial consideration.
- Working with the team of production engineers, our sub-contractors and in-house teams optimise designs based on manufacturing and material capabilities.
- Where identified through lean activities or liaison with purchasing, production and sub-contractors provide input into the redesign or upgrade of existing products to reduce cost or improve production performance whilst maintaining required quality standards
- Participate in Engineer Change Request reviews to ensure correct and cost efficient solutions are adopted.
- Assist the design engineers, production engineers and sub-contractors and, when required, modify CAD data/drawings in line with in-house quality procedures.
- Participate in lean events assisting with the develop of best practices, routines and solutions to improve production rates and quality of output
- Maintain technical knowledge and new production concepts to ensure continual professional development.
• Experience of costing products/processes
• Good knowledge of sheet metals and cast iron and related manufacturing processes and material limitations
• Experience of NPD from design concept through to end of product life
• Experience of VA / VE in a relevant discipline
• Proficient in the use of Solid Edge or other recognised CAD software
• Experience of raising works and routing documentation
• Experience of root cause analysis, FMEA / risk analysis / Value Stream Mapping and 8D would be beneficial
Education and training
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to demonstrate previous VA / VE project participation and outcomes
• Working knowledge of Microsoft office packages and Solid Edge to intermediate level
• HND / HNC or equivalent in an Engineering discipline would be advantageous, although previous work experience would be considered
Skills and abilities
• Strong lateral thinker
• Ability to step back and review situations
• Problem solving
• Ability to communicate at all levels
• Strong work ethic
• Good humoured
• Ability to travel independently, if required
• Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
• 24 days’ holiday, increasing to 27 days based on service, plus bank holidays.
• Pension Scheme
• Free Eye Test
• Life Assurance
• Child Care Vouchers
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Staff Discount
Working Hours: 08:00 – 16:30 (Mon – Fri)
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job