Due to recent growth and investment in our Sourcing department, we’ve an exciting opportunity to join the team as a Costing Engineer. You’ll be responsible for identifying potential savings, challenging costs and improving the buy in margin (BIM) whilst maintaining the product quality and taste levels, ensuring Matalan achieves its goal of delivering outstanding value to our customers.
- Responsible for the identifying and implementing of cost savings, through detailed reviews of all Buying Cycle processes and the use of Virtual Manufacturing
- Work closely with the Pattern Cutter and Layplanner to provide pattern and product information as well as fabric parameters to allow for the creation of accurate fabric utilisation packs.
- Secure cost savings through effective negotiation with existing and potential suppliers using virtual manufacture and supporting counter costings, ensuring that Matalan purchases the best product at the best price.
- Work with the Trading and Technical teams to identify cost saving opportunities for current product, offering the opportunity to capture cost savings as well as re-invest in to the product quality e.g. fabric quality
- Undertake regular visits to the Matalan Distribution Centres and Matalan stores to review and identify cost saving potential and implement where possible.
- Undertake regular benchmarking of our competitors to identify possible saving opportunities
- Rounded understanding of garment construction, lay planning, apparel manufacturing and production processes
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to build collaborative working relationships, internally and externally
- Good influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent organisation and planning skills as well as the proven ability to prioritise multiple tasks whilst maintaining attention to detail and accuracy in a fast paced and changing environment.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job