East Regional Control Centre,
St Albans Road,
Junction 23 of M25/A1(M) interchange,
Contract Type: Permanent
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It’s why we’re so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy, as well as supporting major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Highways England are recruiting for Control Centre Traffic Officers, known internally as Regional Control Centre Operators, to be based in our East Regional Control Centre. The successful candidate will help deliver a customer focused service through effective management of our strategic road network, by dealing with internal and external customers who are involved or impacted by incidents in an efficient and professional manner.
We require highly motivated individuals, able to work under pressure and respond quickly to incidents and coordinate communications between colleagues, partners and stakeholders and provide accurate and timely information, taking appropriate action to deal with any incident that impacts the flow of traffic.
Successful applicants will start on a salary of £24,477, which includes a 20% shift allowance and £1,500 regional retention allowance. Following successful completion of your probation period (9 months) your salary will increase to £25,686 (including the shift and regional retention allowance).
Day to day
- Using all appropriate technology to manage incidents on the strategic road network including CCTV, setting and managing the correct Highways England signs and signals.
- Coordinate effective, safe and timely activities with on-road crews, partners and stakeholders to resolve incidents, open lanes and minimise congestion.
- Take personal responsibility for the safety of yourself and others by reporting and acting on any potentially unsafe activities or conditions.
- Provide a professional frontline service to external and internal customers by managing accurate and timely information and communicating with colleagues, partners, stakeholders and customers using a wide range of technologies including radio, telephone and written communications.
- Communicate with fire, ambulance and police services.
- Liaise with other parties as appropriate to assist vehicle recovery.
- Proven ability to work effectively with others as part of a team delivering an efficient customer service.
- Able to accurately capture record and relay complex information using appropriate technology.
- Experience of working within a Customer Service environment.
- Computer literate with data entry experience.
- Excellent communication skills and telephone manner.
This is a safety-critical role and applicants must live within one hour's commuting distance from the vacancy location.
We’re expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
To apply please visit our career site .