Job Title: Community Support Worker
Reporting to: Community Support Manager
Job Purpose: To support other members of staff in the provision of care; ensuring the Service Users retain as much of their dignity and individuality as much as possible as well as being involved in the general activities of the service.
- Promoting and ensuring the brilliant reputation of our client. Maintaining and demonstrating a positive attitude towards Service Users, their families, external services/agencies and their GHC colleagues.
- Supporting Service Users who require assistance with independent living skills/ personal hygiene & encouraging independence.
- To demonstrate non-discriminatory practice in all aspects of work.
- Assisting Service Users who have limited mobility or physical / learning difficulties; making the best use of aids provided.
- Carrying out any levels of observation as directed by the Community Support Manager/Locality Nurse.
- Working Under the supervision and guidance of trained Staff, delivering planned care and reporting on the well-being of the service User.
- Reading and understanding care planning needs for service Users and completing written Daily Records accurately and factually.
- Supporting the development of the processes, practices and delivery of the agreed care and recovery model.
- Assisting in a framework of social activities by interacting with Service Users and supporting them to continue with hobbies and activities within their own home or community setting.
- Responding to requests from the Service User, giving assistance as required and answering telephones appropriately, if required.
- Carrying out regular checks on the Service User at intervals determined by the Care/Recovery Plan and as instructed by the Community Support Manager/Locality Nurse.
- Closely monitoring Service Users who may be confused and / or have behavioural problems due to learning difficulties/ mental health needs.
- Supporting/encouraging the Service User to undertake self-care/care of the home environment.
- Supporting the Service User securing appointments to meet their health needs.
- Supporting/accompanying the service user during planned activities, on social outings and pre-arranged appointments.
- Supporting the Service User to access local amenities.
- Liaising with the Locality Nurse/Occupational Therapist to identify the Service Users individual goals/targets.
- Supporting and encouraging/motivating the Service User to achieve identified goals/targets.
- Supporting in the preparation of meals, drinks and washing up as required as part of the agreed care plan package. Food preparation may be required to be undertaken by the Support Worker dependant on the needs of the Service User.
- Reporting immediately to the Locality Nurse any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by the Service User, colleague, self or other.
- Reporting observations of escalated behaviours or deterioration in mood etc to the Locality Nurse.
- Supporting the Service User in compliance with medication including reordering of prescribed medication.
- Notifying the Community Support Manager as soon as possible of the inability to attend shift, and also on return to work, from all periods of absence (within normal working hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).
- Notifying the Absence Line operator as soon as possible of the inability to attend shift on the out of hour’s service (Mon-Fri 6am-9am/5pm-9pm. Sat & Sun 6am-9pm).
- Maintaining complete confidentiality of all matters concerning our client, Service user, Staff and related work.
- Assisting in ensuring quality targets are met in accordance with agreed standards.
- Participating in Staff and Service User meetings and attending training sessions as required.
- Attending and participating in Supervisions, Appraisals and Team Meetings as required.
- Understanding and ensuring the implementation of the Company’s Health and Safety Policy, Emergency and Fire Procedures.
- Supporting the Service user in reporting property faults to the relevant parties i.e. Letting Agents, Landlords or the Housing Association.
- Adhering to all Company policies and procedures within the defined time scales, National Minimum Standards, CQC guidelines, Department of Health guidelines and legislation, including the Mental Health Act and Code of Practice.
- Undertaking other duties, as required, by the community Support Manager/Locality Nurse.
Health and Safety
The post holder has a duty of care under the Health and Safety Work Act 1974, to:-
- Taking reasonable care of the health and safety of themselves and all other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- Co-operating with their employer to ensure compliance with Health and Safety legislation and the Health and Safety policies and procedures of the treatment centre, not intentionally or recklessly interfere with, or misuse, anything provided in the interests of health, safety, or welfare, in pursuance of any of the relevant statutory provisions.
The post holder must, at all times, respect the confidentiality of information in line with the requirements of Data Protection Act. This includes, if required to do so, obtaining, processing and/or using information held on the computer in a fair and lawful way. You will be required to hold data only for the specified registered purposes and to use or disclose data only to authorized persons or organisations as instructed.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as reasonably required.
This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Person Specification - Community Support Worker
Mental Health care qualification / Health & Social NVQ
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job