Never has the commercial functions of the National Trust been more important than now. As a charity, we rely on commercial operations to raise vital income to support our core purpose - to look after special places for ever, for everyone.
This role is fundamental in growing our commercial income. Working with our General Managers and their retail teams in the North, you’ll provide expertise, support and challenge to grow and improve existing commercial businesses. You’ll also play a pivotal role in the development of new opportunities, whether new or extended outlets, and new ways of working to improve our offer to our visitors.
This role will based in our Altrincham regional hub with travel to properties around Manchester, Cheshire and Liverpool areas.
What it's like to work here
The National Trust Consultancy is the home to specialists in every field of our work. A national consultancy, where resources are shared across disciplines and boundaries, it’s proving to be a great repository of skills, talent and experience. The diversity and quality of expertise within the Consultancy will enable our properties and places to benefit from an extraordinary range of creative and innovative thinking, as well as deep expertise in all matters relating to our twin purpose of caring for the nation’s heritage and landscapes, and making these accessible to all.
What you'll be doing
Working with properties in the North of England, you’ll be part of the National Trust Consultancy, where we share skills, talents and experience to enable our properties to benefit from an extraordinary range of creative and innovative thinking. You’ll be out and about, advising managers on how they can develop the retail operations and helping them to identify and realise opportunities to improve the service, the performance, and to grow. What’s more, you’ll use your practical knowledge and insight to identify how to drive efficiency. You’ll be involved from the outset in commercial projects - identifying opportunities to open or develop retail outlets, in feasibility planning, creating and appraising options, building business cases, through to completion and review. Ultimately, your advice and guidance, and rigorous approach to operational delivery too, will challenge and support General Managers and their teams to improve financial performance and to maximise profit.
You’ll be someone with a track record of growing business. You’ll know your business and can transfer that knowledge and skill to the National Trust. You will have high quality consultancy skills, to deliver advice and support, effectively and efficiency, to address the needs of the business. You’ll have fantastic interpersonal skills, influencing others and engaging them in the challenges and advice that you give.
You’ll be able to demonstrate successful planning and delivery in retail operations. You’ll have an eye for detail on the shop floor, and will be very competent in using retail data to identify opportunities for growth and to demonstrate impact. You will have strong customer focus, and an ability to work and effectively manage your time across several projects and properties. You will be working with a diverse range of stakeholders in the Trust and will be adept at ensuring everyone receives excellent communication from you.
Who we're looking for
You'll need to have the following in order to be successful in this role;
- An astute approach to retail opportunities
- Proven experience in retail management
- A creative approach to growing income in retail, with the ability to drive improvement and change
- Excellent coaching skills, with the ability to fire enthusiasm in colleagues
- Experience of engaging and influencing internal stakeholders
- The ability to build strong working relationships and the confidence to engage colleagues with your expertise, insight and ideas
- An interest and understanding in retail data and how to use it to best effect
- Attention to detail and an eye for quality
- A passion for delivering projects - to the brief, on time, on budget and at required quality
- Proven experience of working in project teams to deliver game-changing retail projects
- Ability to multi task and successfully manage many projects and work with many colleagues
- Experience of working across different sites and locations, in head office or in regions
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Project Work
- Retail management