The main purpose of the role is to assist in the effective financial management, performance and support for the bid management, costing and pricing for research, consultancy and large complex projects. To ensure that payment terms are optimal to the client. Assist in the review of standard contract terms and conditions and where appropriate negotiate with the client to achieve conditions that are acceptable to the Contracts Office. This will involve close regular liaison with Academic and Research staff along with the Research and Innovation Unit, Contracts and Procurement to maintain the highest standards of financial integrity and control.
You will need to be customer focused and follow the principles of “delivering”, “enabling”, and “assuring” in your day to day duties.
You will assist in evaluating and updating the financial business processes with regards to research costing and bid management.
- Undertake calculations for all research, consultancy and large project costings, obtain authorisation and prices and submit as necessary to meet deadlines, ensuring that all required back up paperwork is submitted to meet customer’s requirements.
- Ensure that a consistent approach is taken with all calculations for cost and price and they comply with best practice and with the Financial Manual.
- Check project risk for each bid and ensure that this is appropriately costed into the proposal. This would include foreign exchange, overseas security, customer viability, type of work involved etc.
- To review and comment on all standard contracts ensuring appropriate terms and conditions are accounted for in issue of the proposals.
- Monitor the progress of all submissions until they are set up in Agresso and maintain up to date information
- Keep up to date with key sponsors’ terms and conditions with respect to finance to ensure the client is able to maximise the financial value in future bids.
- Undertake the forecast of future research, consultancy and large project income by year, project, theme and school for inclusion in the quarterly accounts.
- Receive project offers from customers/researchers, check against quotations and pass on to contracts for review and agreement.
- Assist other parts of the Research Accounting team when workload requires
- Assist Internal and External Audit as and when required.
- Any other duties as requested by the Head of Research Costing and Bid Management.
- Educated to degree level in a numerate or business subject
- Part CCAB Qualified or significant experience in a legal environment
- Significant experience in a large complex organisation or Higher Education institution
- Use of large Finance systems or Legal experience within a large Industry sector or HEI
- Excellent Microsoft skills in Office range (Especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to communicate and think outside the box to deliver customers’ requirements whilst still following rules and regulations
- Excellent time management
- Good communication skills and ability to build good working relationships with staff and customers