Job Title: Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
Location: London, Liverpool Street
Salary: Up to £65,000
- Discretionary Bonus
- 25-day holiday (rising by one day after every three full calendar years, to 30 days)
- Private medical cover
- Group income protection
- Life insurance
- Season ticket loan
- Professional membership fees
About the role
We have a great new vacancy based in the City for an Underwriter for our client who are a Specialist Commercial Bank. The primary purpose of this role is to be the underwriter for Specialist Mortgages. The Specialist Mortgages department undertakes lending in the following asset classes: Buy-to-let including HMO's, Commercial, Semi Commercial, and Short Term Loans. The department is also responsible for the final checks and sign off to allow operations to fund loans. This is a risk based function, and operates as the gatekeeper for the quality of lending decisions. The Underwriter should be a commercial minded risk advocate able to balance risk and reward without putting the bank at risk through poor lending decisions.
Responsibilities and Experience required for the role of Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
- Delivery of lending decisions based on an overall consideration of risks and mitigants to risk, with level of underwriting applied to each case being proportionate to the risk.
- Ensure a low levels of arrears and losses whilst balancing the requirement to be seen as a flexible and balanced lender in the specialist sector
- Propose developments and enhancements to the lending policy to evolve the lending policy working closely with Risk
- Compliance with the lending and credit policies applicable to the business line including management of large exposures and concentration risk.
- Ensuring comprehensive up to date procedures/manuals are developed, evolved, documented and followed
- Leading by example to ensure the customer is placed centrally in the conduct of all staff, ensuring that products and services are designed and delivered in a manner which is and remains appropriate to their needs, treats them fairly and ensures a fair outcome for them over time.
- Ensuring policies, limits, regulations and laws are followed within their team, or elsewhere in the Bank
- To act with the highest standards of ethical behaviour and probity as befits a leadership role model for the business
- Working effectively individually and as a team with the various functions of the division to enable them to carry out their duties and operations.
- Current/recent extensive experience of commercial and buy to let underwriting is essential, with short term and bridging finance underwriting being highly desirable
- Flexible approach to ensure delivery in a start-up environment
- Relationship management
- Risk awareness
- Good communication skills
- Adaptable to new products and markets
- Team player
For more information regarding the role of Commercial Mortgage Underwriter contact us
Stellar Select is acting as an employment agency and is a corporate member of the REC
Due to a high volume of applications, we will only contact you if your application has been successful. We aim to contact all successful contacts within two business days
- Buy to Let
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job