Due to an internal promotion we are now recruiting for a new Commercial Manager. As we continue to develop and implement our 'Re-imagining project’ it is a really exciting time to join the team at The Workhouse. We are constantly looking for ways to grow our visitor offer and maximise commercial opportunities and as the Commercial Manager you’ll be leading the delivery and development of the commercial operations. You’ll take responsibility for our catering, retail, visitor reception and membership recruitment operations at The Workhouse.
If you are commercially astute, an inspirational leader, creative and have a great understanding of developing and maximising the potential of commercial operations, then we would love to hear from you.
What it's like to work here
Here at the Workhouse we have increased our visitor numbers year on year welcoming in excess of 53,000 visitors during 2017, and we expect these numbers to continue to increase throughout 2018 and beyond. Both our Catering and Retail outlets continue to grow, and we’re looking into expanding our Catering operation to meet visitor needs.
Built in 1824, The Workhouse was the creation of Reverend JT Becher as a place of last resort for the poor and needy. Its architecture, influenced by prison design, and its harsh regime became a blueprint for workhouses throughout the land, and it remains the most complete structure of its kind in England. The site was involved in providing social care for the under-privileged as recently as the 1980s. We are now looking at new ways to bring this special place to life for long term sustainability and this role is a fundamental part of that process.
What you'll be doing
As the Commercial Manager you’ll be responsible for overseeing every aspect of the commercial operation at The Workhouse. You’ll effectively lead your team of 7 paid employees and 20 volunteers to deliver excellent customer service to all our visitors consistently through this period of change. You’ll be responsible for the recruitment, coaching and training of your team and ensure they comply with relevant legislation and procedures minimising risk. You’ll have high expectations for presentation and will ensure your team work with you to maintain these standards. You’ll always be looking for ways to maximise sales and improve our financial results through Catering, Retail and Visitor Services (including membership). Responsible for setting and achieving stretching targets and managing and analysing your budgets you’ll ensure an efficient commercial operation.
As part of the 'Re-imagining project’ we’ll be transforming the whole of the site including Firbeck House which is part of the estate and bringing it back into operation. We’ll be looking for new ways to engage with our visitors and you’ll also work with the wider team to develop the plans for the new catering outlet (housed at Firbeck House) which we are planning to open in the future.
You’ll also be responsible for our Visitor Reception building where we have a small retail outlet. You’ll work with your team to identify new opportunities in this space and ways to increase the commercial growth. You’ll be proud to share our valuable work with our customers, and understand that the profit we make is reinvested back into our important conservation work.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you’ll need to have:
- Experience in sales and marketing, ideally in a tourist, heritage or relevant visitor service environment
- Confidence in managing and leading teams of both volunteers and paid employees to deliver results
- Great commercial acumen
- The ability to manage budgets and work towards a property business plan
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work on your own initiative
- A creative approach to commercial development, and new ideas for how to maximise sales and profit
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Good organisational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job