Commercial / Domestic Heating Engineer
Do you love working with people from all ages and backgrounds? Are you a committed team-player who can work at pace, plan ahead and work to tight deadlines?
If so, come and work with a great team in a beautiful location.
The prestigious and historic Charterhouse School, set in glorious surroundings, currently have the following all year round vacancies within the Estate and Maintenance team.
The Management Structure
The Estates department is managed by the Estate Bursar who is responsible for all infrastructure matters. Within the team, the Maintenance Manager is responsible for day-to-day tasks and maintenance projects with the Project Construction Manager responsible for projects. Office support is provided by the Estates Office Manager and the Procurement Coordinator.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Domestic Heating Engineer will be required to work efficiently and smoothly to deliver an excellent service to the Maintenance Department and the wider School community.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To carry out a variety of commercial and domestic heating engineering work including planned preventative maintenance and servicing on Charterhouse estate and properties.
- A variety of plumbing work where necessary.
- To possess the relevant and current trade qualifications to enable competency to a suitable trade skill level.
- To have a thorough understanding of all relevant gas safe and water regulations and associated Health & Safety regulations for your trade.
- To carry out non-mechanical and plumbing tasks as required from time to time by the Maintenance Manager and other Estates Department Managers.
To fulfil the above tasks you will be required to:
- Plan ahead to ensure future work is planned and completed efficiently and within agreed timescales.
- Obtain materials and arrange all necessary access to undertake tasks in a timely and professional manner.
- Abide by and participate in Charterhouse’s Health and Safety policy. Including completion of risk assessments, method statements and COSHH assessments necessary for the performance of your duties and to operate machinery and other equipment appropriate to the performance of any tasks set.
In addition you are required to:
- Keep work areas and vehicle clean and tidy.
- Undertake suitable training to enable the safe and effective use of equipment supplied to be able to undertake the proper performance required.
- The work may involve working at heights, working in confined spaces and the use of specialist access equipment.
- This role will include a proportion of emergency 'on call’ cover throughout the year.
- There will be a requirement to work on 'Carthusian Day’ for which an overtime payment will be made.
- Some occasional weekend and special event work may be necessary from time to time for which overtime will be paid.
- It will be a requirement to attend any School emergency situations as and when requested.
- To undertake any other duties which from time to time may be necessary.
Technical Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Experience of working in a construction / maintenance environment.
- Proven expertise and experience in working on domestic gas installations and appliances.
- Current domestic gas-safe qualifications.
- CCN1 - Core Domestic Natural Gas Safety.
- CPA1 - Combustion Performance Analyser.
- HTR1 - Gas Fires.
- CKR1 - Cookers.
- CENWAT - Boilers and Water Heaters.
- PART L - Energy Efficiency.
- (Note, candidates with only domestic qualifications will be considered for this post however having both commercial and domestic qualifications is preferable).
- Evidence of expertise in plumbing and water installations and knowledge of the relevant sections of the relevant bylaws and regulations.
- Fault finding expertise and experience.
- Proven experience of managing multiple projects and dealing with a wide range of size and type of building tasks.
- Holder of a clean driving license.
- Commercial gas safe qualifications.
- CODNC01 - Changeover Domestic - Commercial.
- CIGA1 - Indirect Fired Appliances.
- CDGA1 - Direct Fired Appliances.
- CORT1 - Overhead Radiant & Tube Heaters.
- ICPN1 - Commercial Pipework.
- Expertise and experience in pool plant.
- Expertise and experience in BMS systems.
- Expertise and experience in air conditioning and ventilation systems.
- Experience of working within a Schools Estates department.
- IT skills including proficiency in excel
Personal Competencies / Skills
- Will be required to carry reasonable loads around the School and onto work sites.
- A 'team player’ and can demonstrate an ability to work with others.
- To be a self-motivated and organised.
- Able to problem solve.
- Able to work autonomously and manage your own time effectively.
- Able to understand and follow through instructions.
- Able to work in a clean, tidy and professional manner.
- The ability to multi-task on a daily basis.
- Highly professional in manner and approach to work.
- Reliable, flexible and willing.
- Able to work accurately under pressure.
- A good standard of written and spoken English.
The Job Holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom they are responsible, or with whom they come into contact, will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding Policy at all times. If, in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the Job Holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School they must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Special Working Conditions
Working hours for this role are Monday to Friday, 0800 - 1630, all year round. A willingness to be flexible in working hours is essential and the post holder may be required to join the 'out of hours’ call out team.