Paediatric Nurse / Child Health Specialist / Senior Child Health Specialist - Band 5 and Band 6
Responsible to: SPA Manager
Job Level: circa £24-35,000 p.a. dependent on sebniority
Hours: Full-time & Part-time, 20- 37.5 hours per week
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Please note, the senior post will involve deputising for the Service Manager, and will be responsible for shift booking, amongst other managerial tasks.
Our client is a leading provider of physical and mental health services in the UK, working in partnership with the NHS.
A key role has arisen in the Single Point of Access (SPA) team, requiring allied health professionals with relevant paediatric and/or child experience to work within the SPA, to play a leading part in helping to ensure children and young people receive the right care, in the right place and at the right time as part of their managed child healthcare model for the exciting new partnership with the Surrey and Borders Partnership Trust, Central Surrey Health and First Community Health, supporting the community healthcare needs of approximately 290,000 people across Surrey from 0-19 years.
You will be responsible, as part of the Clinical Triage Team within the SPA Centre, (which will be operational from 9am-5pm on weekdays), for managing incoming referral and enquiries (e.g., via telephone, letter and electronic/online) and facilitating case flows within the service for allotted appointments, clinician advice, rapid clinical triage and professional referrals including crisis team referrals. You will be the point of contact for clinical queries, providing appropriate advice and guidance, and navigating the referrer/caller to the right care pathway or service in a timely and efficient manner with the aid of the Service Directory and triage manual, in order to ensure the SPA operates a no wrong door approach.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Poviding clinical expertise for clinical referrals (self or professional), enquiries on the telephone and the use of clinical screening tools
- Monitoring, managing and triaging appointment queues and liaising with staff within and outside the One Stop
- Centre to ensure safe and appropriate allocation of service users for assessment
- Providing call back support/advice/information gathering with the administration support and when clinically necessary reviewing service conditions to manage clinical risk
- Discussing appropriate care pathways with the referrer/young person/carer to agree current needs, expectations of a service and utilisation of the most appropriate service
- Using the computer system to ensure accurate documentation of all episodes of caller interaction are complete and become permanent, including any adverse events, child protection issues and other notifiable matters in accordance with policy, guidelines and best practice
- Ensuring that clinically validated appointments are booked appropriately and according to clinical priority on the appointments system
- Ensuring systems and processes are in place for the security and maintenance of all equipment and comply with information policies and procedures
- Contribute and lead on teaching, mentoring and assessment of more junior staff, supervising and training new employees, agency and bank staff as required.
- Support the development of the SPA service in association with other inter-related teams.
- Support opportunities to develop SPA practices and processes in order to maximise resource utilisation
- Managing all communications in a professional and courteous manner to all service users, relatives, referrers and staff (both internal and external)
- Providing call back support/advice/information gathering with the administration support and when clinically necessary reviewing conditions to manage clinical risk
- Qualification/current and active registration with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) or equivalent (e.g. NMC registered Children's Nurse or HV)
- Evidence of continuing post-registration/graduate development
- Significant experience of conducting health triage/screening/assessments and providing sound and appropriate clinical advice
- Good knowledge and understanding of clinical governance
- Good knowledge of health conditions, diagnoses and clinical risk
- Ability to self-organise/manage and deliver a high standard of clinical coordination and triage service
- Excellent communication/ interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with complex and sensitive service user information, distressed or aggressive service users or carers or those with an impaired level of understanding
- Excellent IT skills
- Formal qualification relevant to role (e.g. telephone triage training, clinical risk triage/assessment)
- Significant experience working within a child and adolescent health service
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact Laura on
Connaught Resourcing operates as an Employment Business and an Employment Agency. We are a committed equal opportunities employer who respect and value cultural diversity. Connaught Resourcing will carry out background checks including referencing and where required an Enhanced or Standard DBS Disclosure as part of our recruitment and selection procedures.
- Physical Health
- Band 5
- Band 6
- Paediatric Nurse
- Child Health
- Triage Nurse
- Senior Child Health Specialist
- Child Health Specialist
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job