Chief Accounting Officer
Salary: $250,000 USD - $275,000 USD (low tax deductions)
This is an opportunity in Bermuda (the island of Bermuda in the North Atlantic Ocean), and requires relocation to the island.
Reporting to the group CEO the successful candidate will have overall responsibility for the Finance, Accounting and Treasury departments within this Group of companies.
• Provides leadership and direction to the Group’s Finance, Accounting and Treasury Departments.
• Assumes overall responsibility for the Group’s fiscal operating results in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Assumes overall responsibility for the group’s regulatory reporting to the Bermuda Monetary Authority, parent organization and other regulatory bodies in accordance with published guidelines and
• Responsible for regulatory capital & liquidity modelling under Basel III.
• Manage all external audits.
• Directs and controls the budgeting process ensuring alignment to the business strategy and devising
strategies to maximize profits.
• Overseeing General Ledger functions of the Group and delivering complete, accurate & timely financial
• Analyze the impact of new accounting and tax pronouncements ensuring proper implementation
• Accountable for the implementation and monitoring of a system of internal controls as they relate to
financial reporting, including controls over systems that integrate with the Bank’s general ledger.
• As a member of the senior leadership team collaborate and contribute to the development and
execution of the strategies improving the financial performance of the Group.
• Advises the Executive Committee (EC), broader senior management and board of directors on the
fiscal control and profitability.
• Identifies opportunities for cost reduction and systems/process enhancements. Oversee realization of these opportunities in coordination with stakeholders.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related subject (business, accounting, law).
• A CPA or CA or equivalent.
• 10 years’ progressive financial experience obtained at a bank or financial services company, with a minimum of 5 years at an executive level
• Experience in the preparation of financial statements in accordance with IFRS, particularly in relation to the requirements for banks and investment management entities.
• 7 - 10 years’ experience with bank regulatory requirements under BMA or FSA or comparable regulatory regimes following established standards for capital adequacy, liquidity, risk profiling, etc.
• Experience with managing asset & liability and treasury systems.
• Experience with managing a bank’s data warehouse is preferable.
• Previous supervisory skills or experience, with the demonstrable ability to train and develop other
• Knowledge of banking, investment and treasury products, accounting for financial instruments and
the associated accounting pronouncements.
• Excellent computer literacy skills, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, and experience
with mainframe accounting systems. Experience with Great Plains and Fiserv would be an asset.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with a proven ability to lead change
• Experience with matrixed organization with straight and dotted line relationships.
- Financial Performance