Chemistry Laboratory Technician
Chemistry Laboratory Technician
27.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday, term time only
We have an opportunity for a Science Technician to join our friendly team in providing technical support to teachers and pupils for our busy chemistry department. This is a varied role and you will need to be able to multi-task as you support the efficient delivery of practical chemistry throughout the senior school.
We have 12 modern, well-equipped laboratories and each science subject has its own preparation room.
The Chemistry Technician works alongside the Senior Technician and is responsible for:
- Making up solutions
- Assembling apparatus
- Delivering and collecting of equipment to and from laboratories
- Taking care of laboratory equipment
- Carrying out and arranging for maintenance and repair of resources
- Organising and storing chemicals and equipment
- Stocktaking chemicals and equipment and replacing when necessary
- Disposing of waste materials
- Carrying out tests on practical activities
- Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities
- Providing technical support to teaching staff including health and safety
- Providing technical support to students including health and safety guidance
- Assisting in practical classes
- Keeping up to date with health and safety requirements
- Carrying out health and safety checks on laboratories, prep rooms and stores
- Carrying out safety checks which may include eye protection, Bunsen burner tubing, glassware, eye wash equipment and chemicals that deteriorate.
This position requires some lifting and occasional moving of heavy equipment.
The nature of the position and environment will include working with a range of chemicals, including hazardous substance which need to be managed safely.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and we would hope that the person appointed will be flexible and show initiative. The post holder may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organisation.
Essential: A record of good academic achievement
Essential: A commitment to the Health and Safety requirements of the role and laboratory (training can be provided)
Laboratory technician experience
Experience or knowledge of working in a school environment
Health and Safety requirements within a laboratory
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to work as part of team
Attention to detail
Good organisational skills
A proactive and flexible approach
Proficient in the use of ICT
Physical ability to lift and carry equipment and materials safely
Philosophy and Ethos
Personal warmth, good rapport with pupils and colleagues
Appropriate levels of personal presentation
High levels of personal and professional integrity
Terms and Conditions
Permanent contract, term time only (36 weeks per year)
c. £11-£13 per hour depending on qualifications and experience
Hours of work
27.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday 08.30-14.30
This post is accountable to the Senior Laboratory Technician
2nd September 2019
A range of benefits are offered including discounted cinema tickets, retail discounts, staff development, contributory pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, car lease scheme, discounted gym memberships, health and dental plans.
How to apply
Closing date: 9.00am on Monday 3rd June 2019, however applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the school reserves the right to interview and appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
Early applications are therefore advised.
Guildford High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all who work at the School to share this commitment.
Successful applicants will be subject to child protection screening appropriate to the post including an enhanced disclosure through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and checks with previous employers
- Health Safety
- Laboratory Technicians
- Scientific Background
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'