Job Title: Catastrophe Model Developer
Willis Towers Watson is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 40,000 employees serving more than 140 countries. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas - the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more at willistowerswatson.com.
Investment, Risk and Reinsurance
Our sophisticated approach to risk helps clients free up capital. We work in close contact with investors, reinsurers, and insurers to manage the equation between risk and return. Blending advanced analytics with deep institutional knowledge, we reveal new opportunities to maximize performance.
Our Analytics and Model Development (AMD) specialists concentrate on Willis Re’s catastrophe model building and the development of analytical tools. The team is comprised of individuals with expertise in hydrology, atmospheric science, seismology, spatial analytics, economics and software development. We are a growing, multi-national team in Willis Re, comprised of enthusiastic, dynamic and team oriented individuals who work closely with the Willis Research Network fellows to translate the latest science and technology into client solutions. AMD constantly advances in-house modelling solutions, combining insurance industry experience with expert knowledge, to quantify the financial impact of natural and man-made catastrophes on our clients’ portfolios across the world. The key focus is on building models where no reliable risk quantification tools exist using our technical expertise coupled with innovative product design.
We are currently recruiting for a Risk Software Developer who will work within the Analytics and Model Development team of Willis Re to support clients and brokers across our international business by developing proprietary risk modelling software solutions.
- Conduct Risk: To put the interests of clients and the integrity of the market at the heart of the way you do business
- Developing innovative software solutions to support catastrophe risk quantification and business requirements
- Improving and maintaining the Willis Re proprietary catastrophe modelling platform
- Expand existing DevOps framework
- Design and develop analytical code base
- Test and deploy software solutions
- Front-end/ back-end development
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Actively participating in knowledge sharing within the team
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Experience in DevOps, continuous integration and agile development
- Proficient in R, R-Shiny, Python
- Experience with full life-cycle of full-stack software development (e.g., design, implementation, deployment, training, debugging, backend, frontend)
- Familiarity with running and debugging codes from within an IDE and command line
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed
- Excellent knowledge of maths and statistics
- Strong problem solving skills and keen attention to detail
- Ability to communicate technical topics to non-technical people
- Master’s or PhD degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, computer science or other technical related field
- Previous experience of C++ not essential, but a nice to have
- Knowledge of reinsurance and catastrophe modelling
- Experience with Linux/ UNIX environment
What can we offer you?
In return you will be rewarded with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including; a fantastic pension scheme, life insurance, medical insurance, eye care vouchers and flexible benefits including critical illness cover, dental cover, additional life assurance, childcare vouchers, retail vouchers and many other options and Corporate deals.
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities at Willis Towers Watson.