Cargo Services Operative
With millions of passengers, cars, trucks, motorcycles and coaches passing through on cross-Channel ferries each year, it's no wonder they're known as the 'Gateway to Europe'. Their award-winning cruise port, the second busiest in the UK, hosts some of the world’s most prestigious cruise lines. their portfolio is diverse other successful business include a cargo terminal, award-winning marina and several niche activities.
The jobholder will be trained and competent to operate a range of plant and equipment including Harbour mobile cranes, ships gear, all associated mechanical handling equipment including pallet and reach trucks. The duties of the position include cargo ship operations, landside operations and all mechanical handling equipment necessary to provide this service.
The position requires the post holder to work flexible hours to meet POD cargo needs and port wide operational requirements. The post holder requires a flexible approach to working hours and the availability to work at short notice. The position will report to Operations Manager and General Manager as below.
- To operate harbour mobile cranes or ships cranes in-order-to unload and load vessels
- To complete and file all relevant documentation.
- To operate Mechanical handling equipment, including Pallet Trucks, Reach Trucks, Reach stacker, MAFI, Skell Trailer, Empty Handler and Fork lift Trucks up to 32 Tons.
- To undertake inspections of the facilities at the Cargo Terminal and via the agreed reporting system, to log all defects and maintenance requirements.
- Ensure all safety issues are dealt with promptly.
- To assist other crane drivers with slinging, lifting and banksman operations.
- To raise a quality, non-conformances via the reporting system where an issue has been identified where customer services or statutory requirements are being affected.
- To assist, where necessary, in the training of new staff.
- To carryout mooring operations when called upon by POD Cargo management.
- To identify and manage risks, particularly those that affect safety, and to ensure that all tasks under your control are performed with the utmost regard for health and safety. To facilitate effective communication on risk and safety issues.
- To maintain high standards of behaviour and appearance in accordance with the Company’s dress code and customer’s expectations consistent with upholding the Board’s good name and reputation.
- To wear and keep clean specified items of uniform clothing, whether provide by the Company’s or not, in accordance with the Company’s Uniform & Staff Appearance Policy.
- To wear and keep clean personal protective equipment, including high visibility clothing, (and life jackets where appropriate), in accordance with the departments requirements and Dock Regulations.
- To carry out all duties in compliance with the policies and procedures in the staff handbook.
- To comply with all safety instructions and to accept responsibility for our own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by what you do. To identify potential risks in the work area and to report such risks promptly to management.
The ideal candidate for the Cargo Services Operative role will portray the following skills and attributes:
- GCSE in Maths & English or equivalent standard
- Harbour Mobile crane experience
- Manual Handling
- Signaller/Slinger duties
- Lifting Equipment Application
- Working in flexible hours
- Interpretation of SWL/WLL test certificates
- H&SAWA Regulations
- Risk Assessment application
- Able to work unsupervised
- Clear communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able to work alone and make considered decisions
- Evidence of team working and positive attitude towards team and business development
- Able to meet H&SAWA medical criteria for operating lifting plant and equipment
- Able to climb ladders
- Able to work at heights
- Able to lift and carry loads of up to 30 Kgs
- A very flexible approach to working hours. The ability to work at short notice or deal with operational changes on working hours at short notice is essential.
- A willingness to learn new skills.
Cargo Services Operative Benefits
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
If you feel you are suitable for the Cargo Services Operative role, please apply now!
Cargo Services Operative, Site Service Operative, Cargo Operative
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job