Are you a Caretaker based in the Heart of Exeter? Looking for a new opportunity? Familiar with Education Estates? Interested in Part time?
Then Apply Now
Girling Jones are recruiting for a Caretaker to join the Maintenance team of an Education Estate in the Exeter area, providing a first class caretaking service to the site. As Caretaker and reporting to the Premises Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth daily operational running of the site and an ongoing maintenance programme. Girling Jones are seeking a Caretaker who holds experience within building maintenance, carpentry or handy-person profession to deliver day-to-day maintenance tasks.
- Flush hot and cold taps in line with legislation regarding the control of Legionella and the maintenance of associated records.
- Read service meters.
- Set up and take down of tables and chairs for exams, assemblies and lettings.
- Move furniture, equipment and other goods around the site.
- Postal duties.
- Undertake basic maintenance repairs as directed.
- Undertake redecoration work as directed.
- Change lamps and tubes.
- Clear and clean gullies and gutters.
- Grounds maintenance, including the clearing of leaves.
- Undertake cleaning duties, including removal of graffiti.
- Collect litter.
- Undertake Portable Appliance Testing (subject to holding the appropriate certification).
- Carry out security on site and be pro-active in ensuring that college security is maintained. This will include sole responsibility for security whilst working at weekends.
- Set security alarms.
- Drive the college van as directed (if full licence is held).
- Identification of Health & Safety issues and/ or maintenance work whilst walking the site and informing the Premises Manager of such issues.
- Being aware of the location of Asbestos containing materials within the college and for reporting any damage to the Premises Manager as a matter of urgency.
- Assist in the emergency evacuation process as directed.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grading of the post.
What you will need to succeed
- Working effectively in a building maintenance, carpentry or handyman environment, or similar
- Be aware of and comply with the Asbestos policy, moving and handling policy and any other safety requirements associated with the role.
- Be customer focused at all times.
- Be familiar with the emergency evacuation plan and fire alarm system.
- Work in a safe manner and adhere to all safe working practices at all times.
- Provide cover for caretaking staff, including the evening caretaker as reasonably required.
- Be responsible for the safe use and keeping of college equipment used during the course of working.
- Happy to work Regularly outdoors - exposure to weather conditions.
- Demanding physical role that includes regular manual handling responsibilities.
- Operating workshop machinery and tools.
- Organised, able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy under pressure
- Capacity to take responsibility, use initiative, work independently and demonstrate a proactive approach
- Ability to work actively, productively and flexibly as part of a team
- Awareness of data protection and confidentiality
- Knowledge of Health and Safety procedures
- Knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and legislation
- Ability to undertake a variety of basic DIY/maintenance/building trade tasks
- Good written skills and ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Relevant training / experience equivalent to GCSE English and Maths at Grade 4 (C) / Level 2 qualification
- Working effectively in a building maintenance, carpentry or handy- person environment, or similar - Desirable
- Relevant Health and Safety qualification - Desirable
- Full Clean Driving License - Desirable
- Enhanced DBS Certificate (Girling Jones can provide)
- 20 hours per week, Monday - Friday 8.00am to 12.00pm (negotiable)
- Alternate Saturdays and Sundays 8.00am - 3.30pm
- Participation in the on-call rota and flexibility to cover absence and annual leave, including the Evening Caretaker's role (4.00pm - 10.00pm) is required.
What you will get in return
In return a market leading salary plus package
The next step?
Click apply for an immediate call back or contact Adele at Girling Jones for a full detailed brief on the role.
Girling Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
- maintenance person
- maintenance operative
- buildings maintenance
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"