Reports to: Registered manager or supervisor
Purpose of role
To support customers with all aspects of their day to day living, so they can enjoy the best possible quality of life. You will mostly work alone with the customer in their home. Providing care and support offers many rewards, but can also be challenging. Compassion, good communication skills and a calm and caring manner are essential for this important role in our company.
To provide safe, reliable, compassionate care and support to meet the individual needs and wishes of each customer. Each person is unique therefore you must respect each customers’ choice about how their care and support is given and promote their dignity at all times.
You may be the only person the customer sees over a period of time, it is therefore essential to report any changes or causes for concern to your line manager promptly. You need to be clear about when to seek help and advice in order to keep customers safe and promote their well-being.
Care and support
Give anti-discriminatory care and support that values the whole person rather than merely seeing a list of care needs. Carefully listen and observe how each customer prefers their care and support to be delivered on a day to day basis. Help them make their own decisions so they can be as independent as possible.
Follow the instructions in the care and support plan agreed with each customer. This may include:
- All aspects of personal care such as showering and bathing, dressing and grooming, dental hygiene, toileting and continence care
- Assisting with medicines, ordering and collecting prescriptions or returning unwanted medicines to the pharmacy for safe disposal
- Supporting the customer to eat and drink well. For example, helping the customer to plan what to eat and drink, giving gentle encouragement, shopping, preparing and serving food and drinks, clearing the table, washing up and keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy, agreeing with the customer how to store food safely and when to dispose of out of date produce
- Safely using aids and personal equipment in a manner that respects the dignity of customers. For example walking frames, wheelchairs, manual and electric hoists, sliding sheets and moving boards, hearing aids and other physical aids
- Housework such as dusting, tidying, washing floors, vacuuming and sweeping, doing the laundry and ironing, making beds and changing the linen
- Social and physical activities or mental stimulation such as keeping in touch with friends/relatives, taking a customer out shopping or to social activities, hobbies such as reading, photo albums, games, etc.
- Supporting a customer through temporary and terminal illness, including end of life care, hospital appointments, liaising with community health support and families
Record and report
- The care and support that you provide and assistance with medicines
- Changes to a customer’s condition or other concerns e.g. faulty equipment or hazards in the home
- Response to emergencies, accidents, incidents and safeguarding matters
- Contact with families, representatives or carers and other professionals
- Other matters as required by Bluebird Care procedures
- Keep all information about customers and their families secure and confidential except where policy requires you to share, to protect the interests of our customers
Work well as part of the Bluebird Care team
- Follow Bluebird Care policies, procedures and guidance at all times
- Take part in staff and customer meetings
- Attend training activities, supervisor and appraisal meetings
Benefits of working for Bluebird Care
- Competitive travel allowance
- 28 days holiday entitlement
- Pension contribution scheme
- Great working culture
- Excellent opportunity for tailored career progression
- Potential for completing a range of recognised care qualifications
- Excellent training provide inhouse and ongoing
- Full uniform provided
- Work smartphone provided
This list is not exhaustive and you may be asked to carry out additional duties. We will provide you with full training in line with regulatory requirements.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job