The purpose of the role is to support the Lead Accountant to provide the necessary assurance to Chief Financial Officers of both MOPAC and the MPS in respect of their statutory responsibilities to assure the effect stewardship of public funds.
The post-holder operates within challenging and varied political agendas, tight resource constraints and operational imperatives. The post-holder must operate with sensitivity balancing conviction with diplomacy and discretion.
Specific responsibilities will vary between individual roles and are allocated flexibly according to individual expertise and workload.
As part of this role the post holder will:
- Assist in the correct interpretation and application of the relevant legislation, accounting standards and guidance.
- Assist with environmental scanning - keeping up to date with all professional, national and legal developments and corporate developments and policies.
- Assist with the drafting of technical papers for circulation and/or provide technical briefings/updates to inform finance community, senior managers on key accounting and finance developments, interpretation and proposed treatment.
- Perform system interrogations and undertake financial and quantitative modelling as required.
- Assist with overseeing, monitoring and quality assuring of non current asset accounting and appropriate classification throughout the year.
- Ensure the non current asset register reflects the latest annual and exceptional valuations of non current assets ensuring proper consideration is given to valuation history in establishing individual accounting rules.
- Assist with the year end closure process in respect of designated assets and liabilities and disclosures including agreeing year end instructions and monitoring other teams inputs.
• Desirable: CCAB or CIMA membership
• Genuine experience of working with the assets accounting module of the Oracle accounting system
• Good technical knowledge & application of relevant statutory, regulatory and professional accounting standards i.e. IFRS, IPSAS and codes i.e. CIPFA including SeRCOP etc;
• Extensive experience in non current asset accounting;
• Experience in corporate financial accounting (IFRS & IPSAS), closedown and preparation of accounts and disclosures;
• Experience of providing clear and impartial professional and technical advice and objective financial analysis;
• Excellent IT system interrogation and modeling skills including good knowledge of quantitative techniques;
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job