Job Title: CAE Engineer Structural / Fatigue Chassis
Department: Chassis & Vehicle Technology (CVT)
Reporting to: Principal CAE Engineer Structural Fatigue Chassis
Purpose of the Role
- Responsible for the development and validation of Chassis Structural and Fatigue Analysis of McLaren vehicles.
- Leading FEA analysis supporting vehicle projects. The role covers maintaining, analysing, and reporting on components and sub-system models.
- Overseeing all internal and external Structural and Fatigue. Interaction with lead Simulation Engineers managing Vehicle Dynamics, NVH and Passive Safety will be required.
- Reporting directly to the Principal CAE Engineer Structural/ Fatigue and liaise with various function groups. The Engineer will be required to communicate progress and critical issues to Chief Engineers and the Chief Designers
- Responsible for defining and managing the simulation and data analysis plan as well as having technical responsibility for delivering the durability attribute across all programmes.
- The engineer will be responsible for maintaining, analysing, correlating and reporting on the vehicle and system models. Models will be used to study performance against targets relating to Durability. Studies will relate to design of new vehicle architecture and resolution of issues on current platforms.
- Working with project engineers to assess risk on new projects and develop plans to manage this risk thought virtual and physical test activities.
- Supervise external CAE partners to ensure that all CAE analysis conforms to company procedures, industry best practice and global regulations.
- Responsible for FEA and Fatigue analysis model build and the development of simulation methodology.
- Understanding FE model performance, analysis of test data and basic engineering principles, will allow the engineer to develop robust models to assist the design and development activities of the vehicle program.
- Determine the most efficient engineering techniques and deliver maximum value to program, through an optimised modelling approach. Alongside supporting vehicle programs, the engineer should draw on team experience of best practice to help develop methods and improve group capabilities.
- Experience of metallic and composite materials is required as the vehicle structure uses both. Knowledge of various vehicle systems is desirable.
- Develop relationships with academia, software and hardware suppliers and key consultancies.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience in automotive product development or project leadership function
- Experienced in an OEM or Tier1 with robust Structural and Fatigue analysis technical knowledge
- The Engineer should have experience developing, correlation and analysing of full vehicle and system level models for use in studying Durability attributes.
- Experience in delivery of whole CAE vehicle durability attributes from concepts through to series production is desirable
- Good knowledge of Hyperworks, Abaqus Explicit/Implicit, NCode or LMS VLab, Nastran would be beneficial
- Experience in testing measurements and data postprocessing would be beneficial
- Good knowledge of validation, verification and testing process
- Good knowledge of fatigue life prediction and material behaviour
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate within a team environment.
- Strong communication of simulation results via comprehensive and intelligible simulation reports.
- Good analytical, written and oral presentation skills
- Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above
- Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree
- PHD in Mechanical Engineering advantageous
- High competency in written and oral English language
- Delivery focussed - with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery
- Advanced problem solving abilities
- Good organizational skills
- Good team player and communicator able to communicate at all levels
- Self-motivated to deliver excellence
- Flexible attitude to working hours
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.