Your new role
Strategy and Planning has a crucial role to play, right at the heart of Highways England. We provide direction for our strategic roads enabling the company to deliver societal benefits through meeting the needs of our customers and clients, within our regulatory obligations, and work across the company to enable delivery of our ambitious agenda. This role brings together responsibilities of the more traditional assistant project manager role in Highways England, with the additional function of supporting sponsoring for the next RIS programme of activity. This entails skills of strategic thinking, leadership, collaborative working and clear communication, alongside a traditional project management skillset.
What you’ll be leading on
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key stakeholders and lead discussions with relevant HE stakeholders to define the activities required to meet the priorities of the programme, of Government and ORR. Often this will entail strategic thinking to determine the appropriate activities based on broad requirements.
- Undertake proactive challenge of HE stakeholders involved in the programme to ensure the inputs required to deliver the Future RIS programme are strategically aligned to HE, Government and ORR's expectations and requirements.
- Maintain knowledge and strategic awareness of issues impacting on the RIS Programme by actively maintaining and encouraging regular dialogue with business areas and stakeholders to capture changing requirements and identify interdependencies and risks.
- Prepare materials and attend/present at internal/external meetings to promote and advise stakeholders of the progress of the Future RIS programme, its key strategic priorities and requirements for successful delivery.
- Develop and provide accurate, timely and proportionate reporting to translate progress against strategic priorities in the RIS programme at the relevant levels across the business.
- Support the planning, preparation and participate in independent assurance and approval processes, including gateway reviews to achieve successful delivery. Working with the Programme Manager to ensure robust governance arrangements are applied at all levels and project management and change control principles are followed.
To be successful
- Understanding of working in multifaceted complex projects and programmes
- Experience of working successfully in a programme or project management environment, with proven application of project management approaches to achieve project/programme delivery
- Ability to apply sound governance and quality management principles and processes
- Ability to work collaboratively, with a range of colleagues, subject matter experts and business partners both in the wider organisation and externally across multiple stakeholders and delivery partners
- Good interpersonal, diplomatic, oral communication and presentation skills to build and sustain effective communications and convey complex information with both internal and external customers and stakeholders
- Experience of managing and coordinating workloads to achieve maximum efficiency and achieve an excellent team working environment
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the government’s road investment strategy, provide high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'