Business Development Professional - Trainee / Protégé / Apprentice / Executive Assistant to Managing Director
£25-30k basic, £50-55k with bonuses
Industry: Insurance / Mergers & Acquisitions /Brokerage
My Client is a long established specialist Insurance consultancy that provides independent general insurance review and due diligence services to some of the world’s largest businesses and private equity providers.
Profile of Role
Whilst my Client is an established organisation, they are going through a period of exponential growth and change which has left the Managing Director stretched to the limit. We are looking to find someone who can shadow him; attending meetings with him and learning the whole Senior function of the Business from the inside out. You will be learning the full workings/mechanics of the Business with the view to deputising for him further down the line. The Managing Director's role is very much focussed on Business Development and he spends the majority of his time attending meetings split between potential new Clients and nurturing existing Business relationships. Initially the role will most easily be described as that of an Executive Assistant as you will be his right-hand person taking notes and making sure things are followed through as agreed in meetings and making sure nothing slips through the net. The bigger picture is that we want to find someone who will be his protégé / successor but this will take time to learn.
This is a position for a hugely ambitious and motivated individual, someone who really relishes a challenge and who will take this opportunity and run with it.
You will have some knowledge of the financial sector ie Insurance, Mergers & Acquisitions, broking etc. ie you will need to have an awareness of the workings and terminology as the learning curve for this role will be steep enough without having to learn a whole new language.
Other essential attributes:
- Based near Reigate in Surrey - The Managing Director lives here and your day will very much start and end with him but in the longer term you may be more office based and their offices will be in London Bridge. When you are not physically shadowing the MD, you will be working from home.
- Articulate - you will be dealing with very senior or high net worth individuals and you must be able to converse in a business meeting at this level.
- Numerate - There is a lot of spoken figures in the meetings and spreadsheets work to follow up.
- Transparent / honest approach ie if you don’t know something, you never make it up. This is a very factual / accurate job role and fudging/guessing won’t be acceptable. Admitting to not knowing, going away and finding out will always be the right approach in this role.
- Diplomatic approach - the ability to recognise and adapt to different people and sets of circumstances need a different approach.
- IT literate - specifically good Word and spreadsheet skills.
- Flexible - this role will be different day to day both in terms of what’s required of you and where you will physically be.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ideally some previous experience of Business Development or B2B sales but full training will be given in this respect as my client does business in a very speciialsed way.
- Passport with no restrictions - there will be a degree of travel, especially to the US so if you have any reason to be refused a Visa we cannot consider you for this role. Travel will also be within Europe. Estimate travel - 4-6 short trips a year.
- Full UK Driving License
- If you speak any European languages that would be advantageous but not essential.
- Some weekend availability - generally speaking, this is not a 9-5 role but in addition to your regular duties there is a certain amount of corporate entertainment which will require your attendance, traditionally this has encompassed hospitality at Twickenham or similar so an interest in Rugby, Football or Golf would be useful.
If this is of interest to you and you meet the above criteria, please send your full CV to dawn at astonrecruitment dot com ASAP including details of:
- Your current and expected remuneration package
- Your availability for interview
- Your notice period / availability to start work.
- Applicants are welcomed from all backgrounds - on the proviso that you are legally able to work and remain in the UK, if you would need to relocate in order to be based near Reigate please give details including timescales in your application. Similarly if you require any special equipment or conditions for any disabilities please also let me know.
This vacancy is advertised by Dawn Calverley of Aston Recruitment