Contract Type: 1x open-ended position, 1x 1 year fixed-term position
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 23rd February 2018
Interview Date: 6th March 2018
You will contribute to the MRC mission as a funder improving human health through world-class medical research, by helping to deliver MRC funding through research grants. Working in the Research Programmes Group the successful candidate will support one of the MRC’s four research boards.
You will work closely with a range of people to manage the diverse activities involved in awarding MRC funding. This will include managing a small team which services the Board, leading the efficient and effective review of grant applications and fair and transparent decision making. You will also have the opportunity to be involved with projects, additional funding calls, MRC Unit funding, scientific workshops and strategic working groups.
Main duties/key responsibilities include to:
- manage an efficient service for Board meetings, including the review of applications, casework, portfolio reporting and strategic papers
- manage a small team, which is part of a matrix of Board and Panel teams
- take responsibility for grant applications from initial enquiry, through peer review, to the end of funding, often handling grants personally
- manage the Board budget, liaising with senior MRC staff and Finance teams
- manage the portfolio of Board-funded research
- respond to enquiries from the research community and communicate MRC policies, taking decisions on exceptions.
This is a flexible role and the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to be involved with projects, additional funding calls, MRC Unit funding, scientific workshops and strategic working groups. These aspects of the role could take up to 50% of time.
- liaison with applicants, peer reviewers and Board members
- working with Board/Panel managers and other colleagues across MRC to ensure consistency of funding process, advice, guidance and training, process improvement, monitoring and reporting.
- line management responsibilities for 2-3 team members.
You will be required to frequently work in the London office and be willing to stay overnight and work long hours on an occasional basis. Additional, infrequent UK & European travel may also be necessary.
- educated to a degree level or equivalent experience.
- degree in a science-related subject
- post graduate qualification, ie MSc/PhD.
Previous work experience required:
- planning and management experience, with ability to manage multiple work activities with competing priorities and deliver to deadlines
- experience of effective working with multiple stakeholders
- leadership experience, e.g. of activities, projects
- communicating (written and oral) to a range of audiences, including drafting briefs and minute taking
- experience of converting policy into practice
- experience of improving processes or policies
- analytical skills.
- research funding experience (ideally within the Research Councils)
- staff management experience
- change management experience.
Knowledge and experience:
- familiarity with academic/industry biomedical research and its funding
- familiarity with UK Universities and medical research in general.
- ability to work with people at all levels and across team boundaries
- willingness to work across a range of tasks from the practical to the very complex
- calm & unflappable
- highly numerate and accurate
- ability to find simple solutions to complex problems.
Final appointments will be subject to pre-employment screening.
From April 2018, UK Research and Innovation will bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England. The vision for the new organisation is to be the best research and innovation organisation in the world. From 1 April 2018 your employer will be UK Research and Innovation.
The closing date for applications is 23rd February 2018. The interview for this vacancy will take place on 6th March 2018. Only online applications will be accepted and should be submitted in the form of an up-to-date c.v. and covering letter (ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded).
Please note, when you click apply, you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application proces