Big Data QA Engineer – London or Newbury
Competitive salary + excellent benefits
Big Data at Vodafone
As Vodafone continues to evolve, our dedication to innovation has never been greater. Already the world's leading mobile telecommunications company, our goal is to pioneer a world of total communications solutions, where fixed, mobile, voice and data will all become one.
By applying machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques we're building a data driven company to better meet customers’ needs and offer them truly personalised services and products and deliver them a great customer experience.
At Vodafone, we don’t just produce creative products, we develop amazing people too. We are driven to empower people. We are committed to helping our people perform at their best and achieve their full potential.
We’re heading to an exciting future – fancy being part of our Big Data team?
The Big Data QA Engineer ensures the quality of the code and solution delivered by the Big Data Team, by reviewing the code produced by Data Engineering to load data from source systems onto the shared platform, as well as the Big Data applications. Define, build, automate and execute testing for the solution.
- Ensure that Big Data team produce high performing and stable applications, which perform complex processing of massive volumes of data in a multi-tenancy Hadoop environment
- Guarantee the quality of end-to-end applications (through review and testing) that make use of large volumes of source data from the operational systems and output insights back to business systems
- Proactively work with the rest of the squad to ensure the right quality checks are in place at the various stages of the Data Integration
- Support and contribute, with the rest of the Big Data team of Data Engineering/QA/Data Science, to define best practice for the agile development of applications to run on the Big Data Platform.
As a Big Data QA Engineer, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Relevant degree in Maths/ Science/Statistics or similar
- Experience of Big Data technologies such as Hive/ Spark/Yarn/Oozie
- Software development experience in Python/ Scala
- You will need to have a mind-set to test – testing what people deliver and trying to break what has been developed
- Proven experience in designing, building and managing applications to process large amounts of data in a Hadoop ecosystem;
- Proven experience with performance tuning applications on Hadoop and configuring Hadoop systems to maximise performance
Joining Vodafone is more than a job, what we do matters. We don’t just carry minutes, texts and data – we carry people’s lives. And that’s a huge responsibility. If you think for a minute about the people you rely on…the likelihood is they rely on us.
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and we want to make a difference to the lives of our customers, and the communities in which we live and work. We support our people to give something back to the causes that mean the most to them through helping them give time and money to the charities they love.
And what’s it like to work here? We have created an environment where you can look forward to coming to work and are empowered to be at your best. We offer flexibility in how you work that helps you do your job in a way that suits you, opportunities to help you grow and progress throughout your career, and a choice of benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Commitment from Vodafone
Vodafone is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognised, developed and rewarded. We believe that diversity plays an important role in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an inclusive work environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences - we are not only multinational but multicultural too. At Vodafone you will have access to our excellent flexible benefits programme that you would expect from any global company.