Big Data Engineer – London or Newbury
Competitive salary + excellent benefits
Big Data at Vodafone
As Vodafone continues to evolve, our dedication to innovation has never been greater. Already the world's leading mobile telecommunications company, our goal is to pioneer a world of total communications solutions, where fixed, mobile, voice and data will all become one.
By applying machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques we're building a data driven company to better meet customers’ needs and offer them truly personalised services and products and deliver them a great customer experience.
At Vodafone, we don’t just produce creative products, we develop amazing people too. We are driven to empower people. We are committed to helping our people perform at their best and achieve their full potential.
We’re heading to an exciting future – fancy being part of our Big Data team?
The Big Data Engineer provides expert guidance and delivers through self and others to integrate the necessary data from several local data sources in the Big Data Programme necessary for analysis and for commercial actions. Build applications that make use of large volumes of data and generate outputs that allow commercial actions that generate incremental value and support local markets function in obtaining benefiting business value from the operational data.
- Designing and producing high performing and stable applications to perform complex processing of massive volumes of data in a multi-tenancy Hadoop environment.
- Building end-to-end applications that make use of large volumes of source data from the operational systems and output insights back to business systems
- Building real-time data processing applications which are integrated with business systems to enable value from analytic models to drive rapid decision making
- Working with the Group Data Engineering team to integrate and deliver developed solutions.
- Managing complex stakeholder relationships
As a Big Data Engineer, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Relevant degree in Maths/ Science/Statistics or similar
- Experience with Hadoop ecosystem (Spark, Hive/Impala)
- Strong software development experience in Scala/Python
- Experience in designing, building and managing applications to process large amounts of data in a Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience working on transformational projects
Joining Vodafone is more than a job, what we do matters. We don’t just carry minutes, texts and data – we carry people’s lives. And that’s a huge responsibility. If you think for a minute about the people you rely on…the likelihood is they rely on us.
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and we want to make a difference to the lives of our customers, and the communities in which we live and work. We support our people to give something back to the causes that mean the most to them through helping them give time and money to the charities they love.
And what’s it like to work here? We have created an environment where you can look forward to coming to work and are empowered to be at your best. We offer flexibility in how you work that helps you do your job in a way that suits you, opportunities to help you grow and progress throughout your career, and a choice of benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Commitment from Vodafone
Vodafone is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognised, developed and rewarded. We believe that diversity plays an important role in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an inclusive work environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences - we are not only multinational but multicultural too. At Vodafone you will have access to our excellent flexible benefits programme that you would expect from any global company.