PRINCIPLE PURPOSE OF JOB
To ensure that benefit claims are processed promptly and accurately in accordance with prevailing legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice and local policy.
- To adhere to all aspects of the Council’s Equal Opportunity Employment Policy, in so far as it affects you as an employee of the Council, in order to comply with the law, and to promote and maintain good employee relations.
- To provide high standards of customer care to both external and internal customers as laid down in the Council’s Customer Care Mission Statements.
- To comply with Health and Safety legislation and the Council’s Safety Policy, practices and procedures.
- To adhere to all aspects of confidentiality and Data Protection in order to comply with the law. To observe all policies and guidelines as defined by the Council’s Data Protection Officer or your Service Data Controller.
- To respond to "true reply" items of correspondence received from customers, ensuring that a full and comprehensive reply is produced using appropriate language and terminology.
- To assist team leaders and managers with the preparation of replies to enquiries and complaints received via Councillors and Members of Parliament.
- To assist team leaders and managers with the day-to-day provision of Benefits services, reporting promptly on any workload pressures, delays or difficulties.
- To help team leaders and managers meet performance targets, and to produce financial, statistical and management information, as required.
- To assist with the recruitment, induction, training and development of staff.
- To organise, monitor, co-ordinate and control the day-to-day activities of subordinate team members.
- To help ensure that all systems (administrative, financial and computer based) are efficiently and effectively operated, with appropriate safeguards and controls, with a view to detecting fraud and error, and to ensure compliance with Standing Orders, Financial Regulations, and other corporate policies.
- To assess and pay claims for Housing and Council Tax Benefit quickly and to a very high standard of accuracy, and in accordance with the prevailing legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice, local policy and office procedures.
- To undertake the prompt, efficient, friendly and fair resolution of complex benefit-related customer enquiries and complaints requiring advanced technical knowledge, IT and communication skills, in accordance with prevailing legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice, local policy and office procedures.
- To be able to calculate more complex benefit assessments, including employed and self-employed private tenants, student and PFA claims.
- To identify fraudulent applications and benefit overpayments, reporting promptly to the Benefits Policy & Investigations Manager for investigation by the Fraud Officers.
- To maintain excellent customer relations by helping the Customer Services staff to deal with visitors at the public enquiry counter, overflow telephone calls from the contact centre and correspondence.
- To initiate and reply to enquiries and complaints, ensuring that matters of an urgent technical and contentious nature are given prompt and efficient attention.
- To ensure that calculations and assessments are checked and verified in compliance with best practice, audit requirements and the Verification Framework.
- To maintain a good up to date knowledge of relevant legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice, local policy and office procedures relating to Benefit assessments.
- To maintain a good up to date knowledge of all the section's IT software systems and assist with the development, testing and implementation of new and updated systems.
- To assist with the logging, coding, scanning, indexing, distributing and filing of incoming documentation and the enveloping, sorting and despatch of outgoing mail (using the KAS or other mailing machinery).
- To carry out inspections and home visits.
- To organise payment runs and issue manual cheques, as required.
The post holder will be required to undertake such other duties as may be required within the grade and competence of the postholder. Therefore, the list of duties in this job description should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive.
- 4 GCSE’s or similar, including Maths and English (Grades A-C).
Knowledge & Experience
- The ability to undertake the prompt and efficient calculation of Housing & Council Tax Benefit entitlement, in accordance with prevailing legislation, litigation, best practice and local policy.
- To demonstrate an excellent up to date knowledge of prevailing Housing & Council Tax Benefit legislation, litigation, best practice and local policy.
- The ability to calculate more complex assessments and liabilities, such as claims from students and the self-employed.
- The ability to deal with complex enquiries and to generate correspondence requiring advanced technical knowledge Housing & Council Tax Benefits systems and excellent communication skills
- The ability to induct, train and develop subordinate staff.
- A minimum of 3 years experience of working in a Housing & Council Tax Benefit environment, with some experience of supervising the day-to-day work of subordinate staff.
- High personal standards of accuracy, efficiency and reliability.
- Analytical/ judgmental
- Planning/ organisational
- IT skills
- Candidate must have recent Academy experience.
- Short telephone interview required
- Will consider condensed hours
- 3 Month contract to start ASAP
Please note Brampton Group can only offer an Umbrella rate for this position
Job Type: Contract
Salary: £22.72 /hour
- Customer Services
- Management Information
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job