Associate Director Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics leader for drug discovery. Python / R, NGS, biotech Cambridge / home based. Associate Director
Your new company
An exciting and innovative biotech developing the next generation of therapies are increasing their bioinformatics and statistical genetics / data science team to help drive forward their drug discovery and development programs.
The company is using a variety of omics and NGS data to develop treatments that will radically transform the face of medicine and lead to significant impact for millions of patients.
Your new role
You will be leading projects related to the discovery and development of new cutting edge therapies, primarily through the analysis and interpretation of NGS and other patient data sets to identify and validate targets.
This is a high-level hands-on role working as part of a cross-functional team, interacting closely with biologists, statisticians, bioinformaticians and clinical researchers.
The position is currently home based.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Utilising a variety of computational and/or machine learning approaches for analysing large scale NGS and other datasets;
- Biomarker / target identification & validation for drug discovery and development programmes;
- Developing & optimising computational tools, pipelines, models and approaches
- Analysing data from ongoing clinical trials
- Project management, including setting timelines and milestones for areas such as generating and analysing genomic data;
- Hands-on programming, eg in Python, R or similar;
- Liaising with major stakeholders;
- Working with molecular biologists to help interpret data and optimise experimental approaches;
For more experienced candidates - managing and training other members of the group is a definite option, as is having involvement in research strategy.
What you'll need to succeed
As well as strong communication, organisational and time management skills, you should have:
- An MSc / PhD (or equivalent experience) in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, computer science, biology or a related subject;
- Hands-on experience with the analysis and interpretation of large scale genomic / NGS or other omics data sets (ideally from clinical samples);
- Strong programming/scripting skills in a language such as R, Python, Perl or similar;
- A track record of leading bioinformatics projects (ideally within drug discovery or clinical development);
- Good project management skills.
Knowledge / experience of biomarker discovery or validation, pharmaceutical drug discovery and/or development projects would be an advantage, as would exposure to bacterial genomics / microbiome data .
What you'll get in return
The chance to lead a range of interesting projects for a really exciting company, as well as the ability to directly influence the discovery and development of drugs/therapeutic products that will make a real difference to patients.
You'll also be joining the company as they go into their next growth phase, so there will be chances to further develop your skills and career and for more senior people the ability to directly influence research strategy.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call me on .
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career, especially as there are a number of other bioinformatics, data science and statistics positions available.
Keywords: bioinformatics, bioinformatician, data, science, statistics, statistical, biomarker, discovery, genetics, genomics, NGS, PCR, RNA, bacterial, microbiome, AMR, antibiotic, single, cell, scRNA, sequence, Bayesian, machine, learning, programmer, programming, scientist, diagnostics, molecular, python, R, C, Bash, platform, project, manager, developer, tool, pipeline, computational, computer
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'