Assistant Scientist - Seeds
Job Title: Assistant Scientist (Seeds)
Programme: Plant Protection
About the role
The post holder will be responsible for examining seeds and plant products for contaminants using a range of microscopic and culturing techniques such as incubation and isolation in addition to making slide preparations for microscopic examination. They will set up tests following standard operating procedures and directions from senior colleagues on samples received. They will be trained in identifying contaminants found within the samples to meet Plant Health Regulations.
They will be responsible for ensuring samples are processed efficiently and effectively between disciplines, that customers are informed of their sample status, and final reports are delivered to appropriate deadlines. They will be responsible for ensuring samples are disposed of safely to the appropriate quarantine and non-quarantine waste streams. In addition they will assist in surveys within the plant protection programme.
About Capita | FERA
Capita entered a Joint Venture with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), and FERA provides scientific services to government and commercial customers, such as food retailers and manufacturers of crop protection products, in the UK and overseas.
FERA Science Ltd specialises in translating scientific knowledge into practical applications, such as helping to ensure food safety and quality 'from farm to fork', sustainable crop production, environmental management and conservation. It also plays a key role in the UK's ability to respond to, and recover from, emergency situations affecting the food chain and rural economy.
What you will do:
- Examine seeds and plant product samples for contaminants to meet Plant Health Regulations.
- Set up diagnostic tests for seed pathogens such as: isolation, incubation.
- Visually examine seeds, plant products and plants for signs of disease using a light microscope
- Identify fungi, weed seeds and other contaminants found in samples
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures and maintain ISTA (International Seed Testing Association) accredited procedures
- Learn legislative import requirements for countries and carry out appropriate testing.
- Complete laboratory documentation with testing results.
- Act as the team Safety Co-ordinator.
- Prepare COSHH assessments and provide H&S assistance and advice.
Your experience will include:
- 5 GCESs at Grade C or above (including English and Maths or Science) or equivalent.
- Working within a laboratory and following detailed protocols and operating procedures
- Experience working within a fast pace customer facing environment.
- We are looking for someone with excellent team working skills, who takes responsibility for the quality of their work and asks questions when unclear.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; they will be able to work in an organised manner to deliver work as efficiently as possible to meet deadlines whilst maintaining high standards.
- Additional skills that will be desirable are practical laboratory experience in plant pathology, working with quarantine pathogens, an interest in plants and plant diseases, good IT skills particularly using databases and Microsoft applications including Outlook, and experience of working to accredited standards such as ISTA, ISO 17025 and ISO 9001.
What's in it for you?
At Capita, training and development aren't optional extras: they're how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a competitive basic salary we also give you 23 day's holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver
<img src="http://maps/api/staticmap?center=Y0411LZ&zoom=14&size=200x200&maptype=roadmap&markers=Y0411LZ&color:ORANGE|label:A|&sensor=false&key=AIzaSyA1avTFqfXs_sttGUBwjK6mTjic1Y-zg2I" align="left" />
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job