Assistant Lawyer - Property Risks & Coverage - Bolton
Keoghs LLP is one of the leading insurance law firms in the UK and can rightly claim to be amongst the most dynamic in its sector. We now have an exciting opportunity for a talented insurance lawyer to join our Property Risks and Coverage Team. These role is based in our London office and is a role assisting our Director or Property, Risks & Coverage, Richard Houseago. Flexible working is encouraged for the right candidates.
Our large and complex cases require a collaborative approach and you will be part of a team handling some of the largest property damage and insurance coverage claims in the UK - fires, escapes of water, construction and engineering failures. The caseload involves acting for most of the leading UK insurers on issues ranging from policy coverage disputes, major loss subrogation claims, first party fraud, FOS referrals and defended liability claims where insurers and their policyholders are facing claims arising out of fires, escapes of water, escapes of oil and subsidence. Often, one major event will give rise to our early engagement and multiple involvements. The successful candidate will, in the course of their development in this role progress to the handling of their own personal caseload but always with the support of our most senior lawyers.
The team regularly delivers training seminars and workshops to various insurer clients and the ideal candidate will have an interest in client development and show a willingness to assist in the preparation and delivery of seminars on technical legal issues. In the first instance the successful candidate will be working closely with Richard Houseago to assist in the running of substantial commercial insurance litigation disputes across the range of legal issues identified above. The role may also involve assisting other Assistant Lawyers in the mini sub specialist team.
• Reviewing documents and preparing draft advices to client on behalf of Lead Lawyer
• Bespoke draft advices on coverage for Lead lawyer
• Assisting the Lead lawyer with all aspects of the litigation process
• Considering the issues of coverage, liability, quantum and strategy
• Conducting investigations
• Preparing first draft instructions to counsel and experts
• Legal research
• Document searches
• Attendances at client meetings/strategy discussions/conferences for the purpose of note taking and follow up.
• Ensuring compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011
In addition to the above, the candidate will at the discretion of the Lead Lawyer:
• Handle a case load in their own right
• Draft applications and court proceedings
• Draft advices on offers which will require little amendment from the Lead Lawyer.
• Engage in settlement negotiations/roundtable/ADR
The above is not a definitive list of possible work which may be delegated and which they may be required to undertake.
Essential Skills & Attributes
• Legal qualification require ie. Solicitor/FILEX
• Previous Defendant property insurance litigation experience
• A knowledge and understanding of the types of disputes handled by the department and claims handled by the department’s insurer clients
• Knowledge of product liability related issues, breach of contract, negligence, property law, insurance coverage issue
• Experience of dealing with complaints to the FOS referrals
What we Can Offer You
A learning culture with employee development at the heart of the people development pathway. Excellent flexible benefits including standard 35 hour week, 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays, working from home options, health cash plan plus many more…
- Insurance Law
- Property Damage
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'