If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in. You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure they have an amazing experience.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and people-focused Assistant Gardener to work with us at Trerice for a minimum of 16 hours per week; ideally Mondays, Tuesdays and/or Thursdays.What it's like to work here
An intimate Elizabethan manor and a Cornish gem, Trerice remains little changed by the advances in building fashions over the centuries, thanks to long periods under absentee owners. Today the renowned stillness and tranquillity of Trerice is much prized by both visitors and employees.
This silence is occasionally pierced by curious lilts of Tudor music or shouts of excitement from the Bowling Green, bringing back some of the bustle and noise that must have typified its time as a busy manor house.What you'll be doing
You'll be assisting the Head and Senior gardener with the day-to-day maintenance of the garden. You’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard and be passionate and enthused by plants. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden: such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants plus mowing the lawns.
As a small team you'll be required to work closely with the volunteers; supporting, helping and occasionally leading them in tasks to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering questions or helping out with gardening workshops/tours and helping set up events when needed.Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Previous practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as some knowledge of plants and horticultural techniques
- Familiarity with machinery/equipment and accompanying practical certificates
- Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance requirements
- Excellent customer service
- Willingness and enthusiasm to share the history of the garden with visitors, bringing it to life
- Commitment for what you are doing, always remaining proud of your work
- You’ll have an NVQ 1-2 in Amenity Horticulture (or equivalent).
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Customer Service
- Health Safety
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job