With millions of passengers, cars, trucks, motorcycles and coaches passing through on cross-Channel ferries each year, it's no wonder they're known as the 'Gateway to Europe'. Their award-winning cruise port, the second busiest in the UK, hosts some of the world’s most prestigious cruise lines. Our portfolio is diverse other successful business include a cargo terminal, award-winning marina and several niche activities.
To assist the Team Leader in the management of the Port’s inspection regime and the supervision of Port related engineering works.
Your primary role will be to carry out inspections on building and civil engineering assets within the Port. You will also as required supervise or assist with the supervision of contract works and to ensure direct labour works are carried out in accordance with the relevant specifications and drawings.
To deliver the Port’s asset inspection regime, by undertaking Principal, General, Routine, Safety & Monitoring inspections and associated reports.
- To upload inspection reports, photos & videos into the Asset Management System.
- To assist the Team Leader in connection with new build and maintenance contracts, general surveys and inspections. To include assisting with the preparation of detailed inspection reports, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, tender information, drawings and contract documents.
- To supervise, liaise with, and assist, staff and contractors to ensure the work is carried out safely, in accordance with the specification and to the required quality standard. The latter may require a level of supervision and the provision of instructions to those concerned.
- To liaise with Operations, contractors, Port stakeholders and other outside parties as appropriate, to ensure that construction works are carried out with minimum disturbance.
- Issue of work orders, together with the associated documentation and project management of minor works.
- To maintain a diary recording general progress of work and any special incidents arising and to submit reports on these incidents as appropriate.
- To provide a flexible approach to normal working time, work overtime and attend emergencies and breakdowns as required and when available. The post will require a high degree of flexibility and adaptable team working including some out of hours and call out attendance
- To undertake training and further engineering education as required.
- Any other duties assigned by the manager or supervisor from time to time. Such duties will be reasonable in relation to the job holder’s skills, abilities and status.
- To comply with environmental instructions and to identify potential risks to the environment, or areas where environmental impact can be reduced.
- To comply with all safety instructions and to accept responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by what you do.
- To identify potential risks in the work area, and to report such risks promptly to management.
The ideal candidate for the Asset Inspector role will portray the following skills and attributes:
- 5 GCSEs minimum grade C or above in English and Mathematics
- Trade apprenticeship in an appropriate discipline (or equivalent vocational training) to a minimum NVQ level 3
- Surveying/inspection accreditation
- HNC in Civil Engineering or Building Surveying
- Planning and undertaking of inspections and surveys of Building and Civil Engineering assets.
- Proficient IT skills, specifically good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel products.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to work including team working, problem solving, innovation and general flexibility.
- Good interpersonal skills, able to liaise with colleagues, supervisors and managers
- Ability to work on own initiative and co-ordinate with other disciplines
- Capable of dealing with emergencies and working under pressure
- Full clean driving licence
- Use of own vehicle
- Work additional hours on occasions
- Physically fit, ability to work at heights, from ladders or working platforms, over/on water, in confined spaces and in varying weather conditions.
Asset Inspector Benefits
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
If you feel you are suitable for the Asset Inspector role, please apply now!
Asset Inspector, Asset Manager, Civil Engineer, Asset Surveyor, Building Surveyor
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job