Apprentice Spectrum Engineering Officer
Salary Details: Competitive
Contract Duration: 2 years
Closing Date: 16/04/2021
Ofcom exists to make communications work for everyone. We regulate the TV, radio and video-on-demand sectors, fixed and mobile telecoms, postal services, plus the airwaves over which wireless devices operate. We are also helping to inform the ongoing debate about the future of online regulation.
We use wireless telegraphy every day to communicate over the airwaves, including voice messages, data, remote control, navigation (GPS) or using radar to find the location of objects.
It is the role of Spectrum Assurance to investigate cases of harmful interference and unlicensed radio use and providing advice and assistance to citizens and consumers.
Our culture is shaped by five corporate values: excellence, agility, collaboration, respect and empowerment.
Purpose of the Role
Our new SEO apprenticeship programme offers you a unique opportunity to work in Ofcom, while studying for an Apprenticeship qualification, without paying any fees. At the end of the programme, you will have an apprenticeship qualification as well as three years’ experience working for Ofcom - a great start to your engineering career.
You will combine training with an external provider, on-the-job learning and internal training to enable you to carry out the duties of a Spectrum Engineering Officer after a 2-year period.
Based in our Birmingham or Cardiff office. Permanent roles following the 2 year period could be UK wide (including Northern Ireland).
Requirements of the Role
- Attain a minimum of an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Reach an acceptable theoretical understanding of radio spectrum matters
- Develop an understanding of legal and case management matters and learn to apply them practically
- Develop and exhibit behaviours in line with Ofcom standards
- Embed within operational team and develop practical skills including use of all SEO equipment
- Develop good governance practices, including H&S
- Willingness to travel across the UK to develop appropriate skills
- Pass driving test by end of apprenticeship period
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Appreciation of, and desire to, promote Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment, respect and collaboration
- IT Competent
- Good communication skills
- Proactive and positive in approach
- Interest in radio spectrum / engineering
Must meet entry requirements for HNC. 2 level 3 including maths or physics or BTEC National Certificate level 3 in associated subject.
- Plans and prioritises effectively, monitoring quality and productivity. Accepts accountability for delivering excellence in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Adheres to and understands corporate governance and processes.
- Communicates openly, honestly and with respect. Provides clarity in written and verbal communication, avoiding unnecessary complexity.
- Influences by making it easy for others to understand and buy-in to rationale.
- Anticipates objections and responds professionally, listening to the views of others and encouraging two-way
- Is insightful, seeking to develop a range of solutions to problems.
- Uses data and tools effectively to explore the root cause of issues. Seeks opportunities for improvement/generates new ideas to optimise outcomes.
- Applies knowledge to achieve objectives. Shares expertise and knowledge with others.
- Maintains an awareness of organisational development e.g. strategic initiatives.
- Develops knowledge and expertise beyond own area/specialism e.g. Market trends and sector developments.
Diversity and Inclusion
Ofcom is a forward-thinking, inclusive employer and recognises the value of diversity to truly "make communications work for everyone". We welcome applications from suitably qualified applicants whatever their background, especially women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background candidates as they are currently under-represented in our workforce. As a Disability Confident employer we guarantee to interview any disabled applicant who meets the essential selection criteria.
We have an agile working model allowing us to have a location-neutral approach to filling our roles. We also support flexible ways of working, wherever possible. Our colleagues are free to move around all our offices, enabling them to work alongside and collaborate with other teams and groups. These initiatives help Ofcom colleagues to work flexibly in way that supports them.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'