Would you be interested in joining an award-winning and innovative academic publisher?
We have a new permanent vacancy at Emerald Publishing, a fantastic opportunity for an Agile Development Lead to help shape our growth.
This role is home working for the time being and when our offices open back up, home working will be the new norm. This means we’re flexible on location and open to those further out from West Yorkshire.
Who Are Emerald:
Emerald Publishing is a global publisher linking research and practice. Founded in 1967 to champion new ideas that advance research and practice. Today, we continue to nurture fresh thinking in applied fields where we feel we can make a real difference. We publish over 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 1,500 case studies, via our dedicated research platform.
Part of Emerald Group, a global learning organisation with a presence in 130 countries worldwide, bringing together Emerald Publishing and Emerald Works.
Role & Team:
This role joins Emerald Publishing and the successful candidate will work closely with many stakeholders across the business and as part of an expanding Technology team. The role will help to create, lead and inspire engaged developers, effective development teams and great digital products that have real impact.
This role has overall responsibility for the quality of our development product and the processes and teams we use to create and support it as well as continual improvement to meet our customer’s changing needs.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Key outcomes will include:
- Lead the Engineering team: Work to create a high-performance culture based on accountability and psychological safety. Ensure the team use software development processes that result in predictable and frequent improvements to our products. Mentor the growth of T-shaped developers and testers. Represent development across the business.
- Lead our development process: Advocate and advance agile software development practices. Support timely delivery of software engineering solutions and evolve our development process. This includes supporting our Chapters and Guilds to improve their craft.
- Lead our QA process: Continue to evolve our QA approach and increase coverage, reduce effort and improve speed of detection for testing. Develop a culture where testing is everyone’s responsibility.
- Drive Quality: Baseline and drive improvements in code, process and people to provide more predictable and resilient outcomes. Ensure our systems are evolving, keeping on top of technical debt. Make continuous improvement part of every process.
- Lead support: Build systems resilience into every step of development. Create an SRE culture. Manage support rotas and continuously improve availability and performance of our digital products.
- Collaboration: Ensure the Engineering teams are part of the business collaborating with colleagues in Product, UX and beyond. Actively share stories and successes to the wider organization through multiple comms channels.
- Resource Management: Assess the resource and skill requirements to deliver to business needs and design appropriate plans for internal teams and external partnerships to meet those needs.
- Take a leading role in the Digital Tribe leadership team
Who We’re Looking For:
- DevOps principles including self-service tools, processes (including continuous integration, testing and delivery) and culture
- Experience of leading system support and developing resilient systems - incident management and escalation
- Software solution architecture and design techniques, including evolutionary architecture
- Demonstrable experience with the techniques and technologies used at Emerald and a flexible and open approach to acquiring new skills. As appropriate, these include (but are not limited to): Java, Spring, SpringBoot, PHP, Laravel, Vue.js, AWS, MarkLogic, BDD/TDD, Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, Selenium, Sonar, Cucumber, Gherkin
- IT technical strategy definition and roadmap creation
- Partner management
- Strong software engineering background
- Strong software QA background
- Experience leading high performing, distributed engineering teams
- A delivery mindset that embraces and adapts to change
- A fundamental understanding of the principles of Agile development and experience of making it work in the real world
- Excellent communication skills, whether to the engineering team or to their stakeholders
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, customer focused organization
- Proven experience of embedding continuous improvement
Your Behaviours and attributes:
- Enabling - passionate about helping others be effective
- Resourceful - creative in removing impediments to productivity
- Tactful - diplomacy personified
- Respected - has a reputation for integrity both within the team and in the wider organisation
- Inspiring - generate enthusiasm and energy in others
- Empathic - is sensitive to those around them
- Disruptive - breaks the old status quo and helps create a new way of working
- Tenacity - keeps pressing forward to promote positive change
- Proud - team champion and supporter
What’s In It for You:
At Emerald, we value our people. Becoming a part of our team means you’ll join a trusting and flexible environment with numerous opportunities to progress your career, as well as access to professional development and the opportunity to learn new skills.
You’ll receive a wide range of benefits, such as flexible working, up to 20% performance bonus, 6% pension contribution, a generous holiday allowance, life assurance and various benefits aimed at supporting your wellbeing and work-life balance.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'