£50,903- £56,261 per annum for working 36 hours per wee on permanent contracts. We have 4 posts available.
We have offices in Kingston, Chichester, Lewes and Brighton but Advocates may be based at home, working across locations and attending court (mainly the Brighton Family Centre and Surrey Family Court sitting at Guildford) as required.
About the Role
Orbis Public Law is the collaborative partnership of Brighton & Hove City Council, East Sussex, West Sussex and Surrey County Councils’ legal departments.
We are entering an exciting phase of our partnership working by expanding our in-house advocacy team for child protection proceedings. This is an excellent opportunity for Advocates to work for a leading public sector legal partnership with an ambition to grow and provide excellent customer service.
We are looking for committed Advocates, with expertise in public law relating to child protection, who are prepared to work flexibly across the partnership to represent social work client departments in care proceedings.
Advocates will have an excellent knowledge of care proceedings and the Public Law Outline and will be required to:
- provide confident advocacy for the applicant local authority at all levels and degrees of complexity;
- take responsibility for all matters related to the conduct of the hearing and of reporting actions and outcomes to the client and the relevant team lawyer;
- have a sound knowledge of precedent, relevant statute, rules of court, and be able to provide expert legal opinion and advice to assist in the timely progression of cases;
- demonstrate excellent communication and collaboration skills; and
- be able to work independently and within tight timescales.
Advocates will be a Solicitor or Barrister fully qualified to practise in England and Wales with a current practising certificate.
The post will close at 23:59 on 18th March 2018.
Shortlisting will take place week commencing 19th March 2018.
Please note, if access to the GCSX (PSN) network is required for this role, a Basic Disclosure (DBS check) will be required to meet the Government Baseline Personnel Security Standards.
Equal Opportunity, Values and Behaviours
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.
The values below will be crucial in delivering our corporate strategy, and are what we draw on to make a difference for Surrey residents.
- Listen - We actively listen to others and expect to be listened to.
- Responsibility - We take responsibility in all that we do at work.
- Trust - We work to inspire trust and we trust in others.
- Respect - We are supportive and inclusive and committed to learning from others.
Our behaviours are what people experience when they interact. They encompass how we do our work and how we treat other.
- Be customer focussed - We put the customer at the heart of our work and take responsibility to uphold the customer promise in all that we do.
- Work as one team - We collaborate with and involve our partners, customers and colleagues, and build strong and lasting relationships based on listening, trust and mutual respect.
- Make things happen - We plan and deliver our work on time and effectively, making sure we understand the needs and priorities and considering all our options and risks.
- Communicate with purpose - We communicate clearly to all our stakeholders, making sure that we listen, understand and inform in the process.
- Be the best we can be - We embrace the need for change and innovation, taking responsibility to improve our services and processes in the right way.
- Develop ourselves and others - We learn continually, we seek feedback about our own performance and support others to learn.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job