Overall job purpose
The Accounting and Business Advisory Group (ABA) are responsible for providing insights to clients, on advising businesses on the suitability of their financial reporting systems and processes and for supporting clients on preparation of their financial statements. This role involves providing a variety of these services at all levels from large corporates to SME’s. You would be expected to have a sound knowledge of accounting standards, have a good commercial understanding of the business world and a willingness to work with innovative technological tools. You will be required to provide support to the ABA managers in regard to the profitable running of their client portfolios, work within a team of staff to ensure the highest possible standards of client service at all times and to take an active role in the growth of the department through identification of opportunities and involvement in the business development process. Ideally, the successful candidate will be qualified or close to completing their qualification either as ACA or ACCA and be able to demonstrate good experience in financial reporting.
- To ensure that jobs are completed to the highest standard, within the agreed internal budget for the job and to discuss all material points arising on the assignment with the manager / partner and client.
- To plan assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangements.
- To take the hands on Supervisory role on assignments as and when required.
- Deals quickly and effectively with client queries (client focus)
- To brief junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, to supervise and control the completion of work, and to undertake 'on the job’ training and provide feedback where necessary.
- To perform the firm’s review and completion procedures, to attend the final meeting with the client and to ensure that the client subsequently receives the final accounts, management letter and adjustment to opening balances on a timely basis.
- To liaise with the client throughout the year and to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- To ensure that appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell, and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- To closely monitor the practice management system reports, to ensure the profitable recoverability of work in progress, and to bill clients on a timely basis.
- To maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil any development or training requirements.
- To support the training and development of the staff within the ABA department.
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate.
Key Performance Measures
- Delivery of high quality financial statements and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
- Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- An understanding of UK financial reporting requirements and preferably IFRS also.
- An understanding of the following accounting packages would be advantageous: Sage and Xero
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness and to add value
Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues. To enjoy working as part of a close-nit and friendly team bringing energy and enthusiasm to the role.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Accounts production skills. Previous experience of CCH Accounts Production would be desirable, but not essential
- Candidates must be part or fully ACA or ACCA qualified or have significant relevant experience.
- The ability to quickly learn and adapt to working with new technology to support in giving insights to our clients
- Across the South region with the option to be based from Gatwick, Guildford, Reading, Basingstoke or Southampton
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
- Practice Management
- Statutory Accounts
- Accounts Production
- UK GAAP
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'