Our client is a world leader in the design and manufacture of satellite systems. Their activities cover complete civil and military telecommunications and Earth observation systems, science and navigation programmes, together with avionics and a wide range of space equipment and associated ground infrastructure.
They are recruiting for Flight Crew - UAV this is a Contract position for 8-9 months and will be based in Farnborough, Hampshire and will involve significant overseas travel.
Flight Crew - Airbus Zephyr High-Altitude Pseudo Satellite
The Zephyr High-Altitude Pseudo Satellite (HAPS) is a novel solar-electric powered stratospheric remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS) capable of persistent operations over many weeks. Zephyr has held the world record for the longest unrefuelled aeroplane flight since 2010 and, after continuous development, is now poised to demonstrate the full potential of HAPS.
Airbus will conduct a prolonged Zephyr flight campaign in 2018 and we require people with solid aviation experience to operate the system as part of a multi-person crew. You will undergo specialised type training in our UK facility at Farnborough before deploying on a rotational basis to an overseas operating location. Training will begin in March/April 2018 and the expected total length of this campaign is 8-9 months.
This is your opportunity to be part of an exciting activity at the leading edge of global RPAS operations.
Description of the Job
Accountable to the Flight Operations Manager, you will be responsible for the safe and effective delivery of Zephyr flight operations in one of two roles: Pilot and Mission Planner. Type training is common between the two but eventual appointment and progression will depend upon qualifications, experience and demonstrated skills. The roles encompass the following tasks:
- Flight planning, meteorology, system preparation and airspace management
- System management and aircraft navigation from a ground control station
- Crew resource management and command
- Working with external stakeholders including payload operators, air traffic authorities and customers
- General flight operations support tasks including aircraft launch team
Essential Skills and Experience
- You must have excellent analytical, interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills to be able to work with stakeholders at all levels, both military and civilian
- You must have well-developed aviation knowledge and operating skills derived from manned, unmanned, commercial and/or military aviation
- You must have experience of successful task delivery within a small-team environment with a demonstrable ability to make and implement complex risk-based decisions under pressure
- For the Pilot role, you must hold, or have held, at least a private pilot's licence or equivalent military qualification
- You must have or be able to obtain an EASA Class 2 medical certificate
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Current professional pilot's licence or qualification with instrument rating and multi-crew experience. Instructor and other specialist ratings are also desirable
- Recent experience in aviation service delivery or military aviation operations, preferably in an international environment. Aircraft test and evaluation experience is also desirable
- Operating experience with substantial RPAS, preferably including beyond line-of-sight flying
- A solid understanding of the technical, operational and environmental factors affecting HAPS
- Experience, and preferably qualification, in advanced R/C aeroplane flying (it should be noted that R/C experience alone is unlikely to be sufficient for these roles).
- Current or previous SC clearance
This role will involve significant overseas travel.
If you have the relevant skills and experience to be considered for this role, please apply on line.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.
- UAV Pilot Commercial Pilot RPAS
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job