Academy For Distance Learning
Add to basket or enquire
Zoo Keeping Online Course. 600 Hours Diploma Course. (Endorsed by TQUK - Training Qualifications UK).
Diploma in Zoo Keeping course online. Study the Diploma in Zoo Keeping by distance learning. This home study course will provide you with flexible learning experiences that will help start you on your way to a career in zoos and safari parks.
As a Zoo Keeper, you will probably work with one breed of animal, or species of animals such as primates or reptiles. Possible zoo keeping jobs include working in:
- Small and large zoos and safari parks
- Privately and charitably run establishments
- Sea Zoos and Aquariums
Although apprenticeships may be available, where you start off at the bottom and work your way up, zoos will often ask that you have hands on experience in working with animals, possibly as a volunteer in a safari park, zoo or animal shelter. They may also require you to have A levels or their equivalent in animal care and/or animal science disciplines. Zoo keeper salaries range from around £12,000 to £25,000 a year, for a 37 - 40 hour week, spread over 7 days and probably spanning 365 days of the year.
As a qualified Zoo keeper, you may have to undertake the following tasks on a daily basis:
- The preparation of food, plus the feeding of your assigned animal
- Maintaining cleanliness of the pen or cage and checking for any damage or wear and tear
- Changing bedding
- Ensuring that the animals' enclosure is as near to it's natural living conditions as it can be
- Making sure that the animal looks well and is disease free
- Caring for the animal when it is sick
- Ensuring that the cage or pen is at the right temperature and correct humidity
- Maintaining written and/or computerised records where necessary
- Giving talks to zoo visitors
Currently we have the Primate Naturalist: Karin Saks, studying our Primatology course, one of the elective modules in the Diploma. Karin has been fostering and rehabilitating orphan baboons, caring for injured monkeys returned to the wild, plus promoting a harmonious co-existence between primates and humans since 1997. She also founded The Darwin Primate Group as a non-profit organisation in 2008 and in 2014, moved to Kwazulu Natal to research the endangered samango monkey populations in the Midlands.
Benefits of an ADL Endorsed Course?
Endorsed courses are skills based. They have been evaluated and approved by an independent awarding body such as Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
What makes ADL’s Endorsed courses different?
- Flexible Self-Paced Learning– adjust your learning around your home and work commitments
- Start and Finish at any time
- Courses globally and industry relevant
- Practical Component at the end of most lessons.
Allocated your own tutor relevant to your subject. You can have as little or as much contact as you like with your tutor. They are there to support you all the way through.
This course is endorsed by TQUK -Training Qualifications UK, an OFQUAL awarding body.
Lesson Structure: Diploma in Zoo Keeping VEN022
There are 3 Compulsory Modules:
1 Animal Health Care VAG100
- An excellent vocational pathway towards employment in the Veterinary industry. Learn to care for the health of any type of animal and understand the scope of services offered by animal care services, including veterinary practices. This course is appropriate for anyone interested in working with animals on a farm, a wildlife park or a veterinary practice.
2 Animal Behaviour BAG203
- What makes animals tick? Learn through this Home Study Animal Behaviour course. Understanding your Animals' (pets) Behaviour is the key to a happy relationship. Do they think and learn like humans? How do they adapt to their environment? Which animals have the best social life?! Learn all this and more when you study the psychology behind animal behaviour.
3 Zoo Keeping BEN208
- Do you want to make sure that animals in zoological parks are healthy and happy? This course is a terrific introduction to working in zoos, safari parks, aquariums or fauna sanctuaries. You will cover many aspects of zoo work such as: Animal Welfare, Animal Care, Diet and Nutrition, Enrichment - Environmental and Feeding, Captive Breeding, Optimum Enclosure Design ,Research and Conservation and Educating the Public.
Now choose 3 of the Elective Modules below:
1 Animal Anatomy And Physiology (Animal Husbandry I ) BAG101
- Gain a thorough foundation knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology. This is essential for careers requiring good animal care and management. An excellent starting point for working with animals in any situation (farms, pets, zoos, wildlife, animal protection). Learn at your own pace through distance learning.
2 Animal Breeding BAG301
- Become a brilliant breeder! Learn to plan an animal breeding program, incorporating genetic theory, breeding program management and practical aspects of daily husbandry practice. This online course is relevant to all animals, from pets to farm animals and horses to wildlife. You will receive personal guidance from high qualified and experienced scientists and practitioners.
3 Animal Feed & Nutrition (Animal Husbandry III) BAG202
- This Online - Distance Learning course will teach you about the components needed in animal diets and the composition of a range of feeds (including pasture, fodder crops, grasses, cereals, seed and other edible plants). You will learn to evaluate feeding, select appropriate feeds (for nutritional content and digestibility), and apply this to farming and captive animal situations.
4 Aviculture (Bird Keeping) BAG108
- With the knowledge you gain from completing this course, you will be well equipped with all the skills required to be a confident and competent Bird Keeper. Whether you just want to learn how to look after your own feathered friend (or friends) better, or want to forge a bird-related career, it is important to know how to choose the right birds that suit your individual needs, or those of a customer and how to look after them properly.
5 Aquarium Management
- Whether you choose to have a saltwater tank or a freshwater tank, you will need to take care and protect aquariums systems and equipment. This course is an excellent option for both small and big aquariums and for the amateur or the professional. Learn to manage an aquarium: Freshwater or salt, Small or large, Home, hobby or commercial applications, conservation or any other purpose.
6 Carnivore Zoology
- In this excellent online distance learning course in Carnivore Zoology, designed by professional carnivore experts and delivered by experienced and qualified tutors in the subject, you will learn about: Taxonomy and Evolution, Carnivore Biology, Carnivore Behaviour, Canines, Felines, Bears, Aquatic Carnivores, Mustelids and other carnivores.
7 Diagnosing Animal Diseases BAG219
- This course is developed to assist animal owners to decide when symptoms could indicate a serious condition, and therefore warrant calling a vet. The course will help you to recognise a disease and determine an appropriate course of action to initiate in order to obtain a diagnosis.
- Learn how to develop your ability to understand the biological and ecological characteristics of reptiles and amphibians. This course also covers conservation issues as well as learning how to look after them in the right manner, so that they live long and happy lives.
9 Marine Studies I BEN103
- Understand key aspects of marine environments! Build a knowledge of marine life and ecology, whether for work or general interest. The first two lessons deal with marine environments (weather, nutrient cycle, reefs, shallow and deep water environments, etc). Lessons 3 to 8 deal mostly with marine animals, particularly more complex animals, and the last lesson considers human impacts upon marine environments.
- Learn about the taxonomy, biology and management of primate animals both in captivity and the wild. You'll learn all about the differences between species of primates and the characteristics of each. In addition this course also explains the nutritional, physical and psychological needs for keeping primates healthy in captivity and the wild. learn how to manage and breed primates in captivity and learning about conversation of primates in the wild.
11 Vertebrate Zoology BEN104
- This course provides an opportunity to learn from industry professionals, while exploring the fundamental principles of vertebrate zoology. It will give you a thorough understanding of “higher” animals’ Zoology, Taxonomy and Biology, together with some principles on animal ecology and morphology. You will learn the essentials of Vertebrate Zoology, giving you a solid foundation to understand animals.
13 Wildlife Management BEN205
- This Wildlife Management online distance learning course is a must course for anyone who wishes to work to conserve wildlife whether it's in the wild, in zoos or working with breeding programs. Wildlife management is the manipulation of wild animal populations and their habitats for the benefit of both humans and wildlife. Wildlife management includes running parks and reserves, altering and rehabilitating wildlife habitats, pest control, protecting human life and property and managing harvests of wildlife.
Note: each module in the Diploma in Zoo Keeping is a Certificate in its own right, and may be studied separately.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the Academy, marked by the Academy's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Who is this course for?
Aspiring Zoo Keepers, Animal Behaviourists, Animal Breeders
A pc or laptop with internet connection.
To be a zoo keeper you need a higher education qualification or degree level in zoo animal management/ zoological related science – for example Diploma in Zoo Keeping / Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals. So this Diploma will set you up for that new exciting career you've always dreamed of.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Is this different to a level 3 zoo keeping diploma? I am unsure of the difference to a diploma and a level 3 diploma.
Hi Gemma Many thanks for your question. The ZooKeeping Diploma with ADL is a Level 5 Diploma Programme, consisting of 6 modules. We can't comment on a level 3 Diploma as we do not offer that, however we do have a Certificate in ZooKeeping Level 4. If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me. Kindest regards Amanda White General ManagerThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Does the course have to be completed within a certain timescale or is it indefinite? Some providers say that the course must be completed in 24 months
Hi Max Many thanks for your question. You can take as long as you like and work under your own schedule/time-table. Obviously, if there's no activity on the course after a considerable amount of time, we may contact you to see if everything's ok, but there's no time restraints whatsoever. Every student is also assigned their own dedicated tutor whom you can contact whenever you need them. If you require any additional info please let me know. Kindest regards Amanda White General ManagerThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Can a practical experience week/s be arranged in an established zoo pertaining to the specialization (like herpetology)
Hi Ray Our courses are online document-based, however they do have some "practical assignments", which give you the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire further knowledge and experience. Regarding your specific question; contacting local zoo's would certainly be an option, and something ADL would gladly assist you with. If you require any additional information please let me know, or kindly give us a call via our website. Kind regards Amanda White General ManagerThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.