Add to basket or enquire
Visual Merchandising Diploma - CPD Certified
Visual merchandising is one of a retailer’s most valuable assets. When done well, it can drive sales, inspire loyalty in customers, improve the buying experience and communicate a brand’s core values and ideals. This course will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the principles and practices of visual merchandising. Although the content focuses primarily on visual merchandising within a traditional retail environment, much of the material is also relevant in other art and design-based contexts, such as exhibition design, interior design, eCommerce-related web design, and event planning.
This course addresses numerous practical aspects of visual merchandising, including the proper use of planograms, brand communication, the launching of sales campaigns, and arranging seasonal displays. You will learn exactly what drives a customer to make a purchase, and how to harness the shopper’s senses in such a way that they feel inclined to buy a product. Whether you are a small business owner wanting to learn how to show your products to their best advantage, an individual looking to break into the retail industry, or simply someone with a passion for the visual arts, you will soon develop a working knowledge of all key areas of visual merchandising. The knowledge you gain during this course will prepare you to enter this challenging yet rewarding and highly creative profession.
** When purchasing this course you will be eligible to apply for the XO Student Discount Card!! You can save on brands such as New Look, Disney, ASOS, Hotels, Miss Selfridge , Domino’s and many more.**
What You Will Learn
- What visual merchandising is, why visual merchandising plays a vital role in the retail industry, and the ways in which visual merchandising practices have changed over time.
- The various kinds of internal and external displays a visual merchandiser will create, the principles underlying good display design, and how planograms are used to guide visual merchandisers in their day-to-day work.
- How visual merchandisers choose, dress and style mannequins when designing displays.
- The most common types of fixtures and fittings used by visual merchandisers and how they are used to construct eye-catching displays.
- Why a visual merchandiser needs to understand the principles behind an effective store layout and how these layouts are put together.
- How visual merchandisers display home furnishings and related products in a way that promotes sales and improves customer engagement.
- The challenges that come with displaying shoes and accessories, together with an overview of the most common techniques used to present items in these categories.
- How visual merchandisers can play a key role in ensuring the success of sales and promotions.
- The most pressing issues confronting retailers today and how they are shaping visual merchandising roles.
- How to begin and develop a career in visual merchandising, together with an overview of alternative career paths for those with previous experience in retail merchandising.
Benefits of taking this course
- You will gain an insight into the necessary qualities and qualifications needed for a career in visual merchandising, which will help you make informed choices when seeking training and employment in this sector.
- You will be in a position to put together effective, attractive displays that incorporate both merchandise and props.
- You will be able to apply for entry-level assistant merchandising roles, confident that you have knowledge of the underlying principles of contemporary retail displays.
- You will be able to begin a career that could give you the opportunity to manage a visual merchandising team, and to assume considerable creative responsibility within a retail environment.
- You can learn the material in any place, at any time, and at your own speed.
- All you need is an internet-enabled device.
- Content is presented as brief modules, making learning easy.
- Affordable cost.
Module 1: What Is Visual Merchandising?
- What is meant by the term ‘visual merchandising’;
- The key aims of visual merchandising as a retail practice;
- The history of visual merchandising;
- Why visual merchandising is important and effective in selling products;
Module 2: General Principles in Putting Displays Together
- Why key design principles are the foundation of every successful display;
- The most common types of display used in retail environments;
- How to use lighting, to make merchandise more appealing to the customer;
- How colour can be employed, to display products to good effect;
Module 3: Mannequins
- The advantages of using mannequins, to display clothing and accessories;
- How to care for and store mannequins;
- How to dress a mannequin;
- The various forms available that can replace or supplement mannequins;
Module 4: Stands and Other Store Fixtures Used in Visual Merchandising
- What is meant by the term ‘fixture’, in the context of the retail industry;
- The relationship between the fixtures used in visual merchandising and the way in which a product or line of products is displayed;
- The various types of stands used in retail environments and how they can enhance a display;
- How to use platforms and elevations, to show off store merchandise;
Module 5: Planning Store Layouts
- What is meant by the term ‘store planning’;
- How the role of a store planner differs from that of a visual merchandiser;
- Why visual merchandisers should take the time to become familiar with the purposes of store planning, and how it is carried out in practice;
- The key purposes and aims of store design;
Module 6: Displaying Home Accessories, Homeware and Food
- The types of merchandise that fall under the category of home accessories (also known as ‘home fashions’;
- The importance of setting the scene and using lifestyle themes, when displaying homeware and home accessories;
- How to display small and fragile goods in a safe, aesthetically pleasing manner;
- How to use mannequins in the promotion of homeware;
Module 7: Merchandising Shoes and Fashion Accessories
- Why the presentation of shoes, jewellery and fashion accessories is just as important as that of clothes;
- The most common props used by visual merchandisers, in order to display items in these categories;
- How to present shoes, in order to form an attractive display;
- How to display jewellery in a way that catches the eye of the customer;
Module 8: Creating Effective Sales and Clearance Campaigns
- How visual merchandising plays an essential role in the performance of a sales campaign;
- How to use signs, to promote a sale, and the most effective words and phrases to use, in encouraging sales;
- How to use symbolism, to communicate price reductions;
- How to use mannequins and other props, to draw attention to a sale;
Module 9: Issues in 21st Century Visual Merchandising
- Why retail does not stand still, and how retailers can stay abreast of the latest trends;
- The rise of online shopping and its implications for visual merchandising;
- Why omnichannel retailing is growing in popularity and the implications of this trend, for those working in visual merchandising;
- The role of pop-up shops in contemporary retail and how a visual merchandiser can put together effective displays, in these environments;
Module 10: Starting and Furthering Your Career as a Visual Merchandiser
- Why you need to take a proactive approach, in order to advance within the retail industry;
- What you need to consider, before studying a formal qualification, and how to choose the right course for you;
- The options available to you with regards to working hours and environments;
- How to keep up with changing trends in the retail industry;
Who is this course for?
There is no experience or previous qualifications required for enrolment on this course. It is available to all students, of all academic backgrounds.
Our Course is fully compatible with PC’s, Mac’s, Laptop, Tablet and Smartphone devices. Now more than ever people are using the internet while on the move so our course has been designed to be fully compatible on tablets and smartphones so you can access your course on wifi, 3G or 4G.
There is no time limit for completing this course, it can be studied in your own time at your own pace.
All tests are online and are taken either during or after the course, these are included in the price.
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.