Add to basket or enquire
This programme is designed for people who work in, or wish to work in the field of retail operations and who wish to develop the skills required to operate effectively in a variety of retail roles. No prior knowledge is required. It is intended as a general introduction to retails sales skills and situations and provides a stepping stone to higher level awards in specialist retail areas.
The course is designed for home study or distance learning and is comprised of comprehensive printed course notes presented in an A4 ring binder, together with course assignments and study guide. Tutor support and a student helpline facility are integral to the course, and students have a full 12 months in which to complete their studies. Actual study time will be of the order of 90-100 hours.
The course is divided up into eight study units, each with one tutor marked assignment to be completed. Each assignment contains approx 8-10 written tasks to be completed which are then submitted to a subject tutor for marking. Where required assignments can be re-submitted after amendment in the event that the assessment standards are not full met on first submission.
The course units and topics are as follows:
Unit 1: Understanding Customer Service in the Retail Sector
- What is retail?
- The importance of customer service
- Customer service standards, policies and procedures
- Identifying customer’s service expectations
- The key features of excellent customer service
- How good customer service benefits the customer, the business and its staff
- Key features of unsatisfactory customer service
- The consequences of poor customer service
- How customer feedback can improve service levels
Unit 2: Understanding the Retail Selling Process
- Getting to know your products
- Getting to know your customers
- Getting to know your employer
- Getting to know your competition
- Selling to customers
- Techniques for maximising sales
Unit 3: Understanding How Individuals and Teams Contribute To the Effectiveness of a Retail Business
- What is effective team work?
- The importance and characteristics of effective team work in retail business
- The impact of effective communication skills when working in a retail team
- Different methods for communicating effectively within a team
- Different communication skills used in teams
- How poor communication skills can affect team performance
- Improving personal performance
Unit 4: Understanding How A Retail Business Maintains Health and Safety on Its Premises
- Causes of accidents
- Why workplace health and safety is important
- Risk assessment
- Comfortable working conditions
- Infection control
- Work equipment
- Manual handling
- First Aid
- Good housekeeping
- Fire safety
Unit 5: Understanding Retail Consumer Law
- Potential Problems with Goods or Services
- Rectifying a Problem with Goods or Services
- Making a Complaint
- The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
- Guarantees and Warranties
- The General Product Safety Regulations 2005
- Data Protection Rights
- The Sale of Licensed and Age-Restricted Products
Unit 6: Understand How to Deal With Customer Queries and Complaints in a Retail Environment
- Dealing with customer complaints
- Understanding the complaint
- Resolving customer complaints
- Refund and exchange policies
Unit 7: Understanding the Handling of Customer Payments in a Retail Business
- Making a lasting impression
- The checkout
- Handling cash and cheques
- Credit and debit transactions
- Cashing up
- Dealing with returns
- Common types of fraud
Unit 8: Understanding the Control, Receipt and Storage of Stock in a Retail Business
- Receiving and processing incoming stock
- Moving handling and storing stock
- Stock control
- Keeping cash and stock secure on retail premises
- Retail premises opening and closing procedures
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for people who want to learn the broad skills and knowledge required to make a first career move into retail sales and management. It provides a broad range of generic retail skills as well as an understaning of what is required to be successful in a retail environment.
There are no study pre-requirements as the course is intended for learners who have not studied this topic beforehand.
The course is ideal for students seeking a variety of career routes in retail sales.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Can I use my free course code from new skills academy against this course. There doesn’t seem to be a box for redeeming codes at the checkout.
Thank you for your query. Courses are already discounted and so sorry but we cannot reduce the price further with discounts. Regards,This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
This course has not been discounted. It is full price so I should be able to use my free course code against it.
If you have a discount voucher then you would need to ask Reed's about using it. Study House does not have any means of affecting the price you pay to Reed online.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.