Skip to content

Understanding Residential and Commercial Property Insurance

Data Law Limited


£60 inc VAT
Or £20.00/mo. for 3 months...
Study method
Online, self-paced
2 hours
No formal qualification
Additional info
  • Tutor is available to students

Add to basket or enquire


Learning Outcomes

  • On completion of this course you will:

    • Be familiar with the key terms and concepts which apply to commercial property insurance and the various products available
    • Understand how to get the right commercial property insurance and how to advise the client accordingly
    • Understand the relevant categories of residential property insurance
    • Appreciate the typical risks associated with building insurance, the typical exclusions which apply and the issues associated with underinsurance and averaging
    • Be aware of the CML requirements in respect of freehold and leasehold properties
    • Have considered the Law Society’s practice note in respect of flooding
    • Understand what a flood is and the typical cover available in addition to the exclusions which apply
    • Appreciate the danger of flooding as an uninsured risk and the withdrawal of the Statement of Principles

What is the target audience?

  • This course will be of interest to residential and commercial practitioners of all levels, including trainees, paralegals and legal executives, who would like a greater understanding of property insurance.


Part 1 - Understanding Commercial Property Insurance

This section of the course will examine the relevance of insurance in relation to sales, leases and mortgages of commercial properties. Lecturer Richard Quenby will discuss the key terms and concepts which viewers must be aware of if they are to provide practical guidance in the application of varying insurance provisions.

The types of insurance products which are available will also be considered, in addition to insurable interests, reinstatement obligations and insurance on the grant of a mortgage.

Part 2 – Understanding Residential Property Insurance

This section of the course will examine the range of issues that conveyances need to be aware of when dealing with residential property insurance. Richard will review the requirements of the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) handbook in relation to residential property insurance for both freehold and leasehold properties.

With over 5 million UK homes at risk of flooding, and with this number only set to rise, this course will also provide an up to date position in relation to flood damage and will consider the effects of Flood Re which begins in 2015.

Questions and answers

Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.


Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.


What does study method mean?

Study method describes the format in which the course will be delivered. At courses are delivered in a number of ways, including online courses, where the course content can be accessed online remotely, and classroom courses, where courses are delivered in person at a classroom venue.

What are CPD hours/points?

CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development. If you work in certain professions or for certain companies, your employer may require you to complete a number of CPD hours or points, per year. You can find a range of CPD courses on, many of which can be completed online.

What is a ‘regulated qualification’?

A regulated qualification is delivered by a learning institution which is regulated by a government body. In England, the government body which regulates courses is Ofqual. Ofqual regulated qualifications sit on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF), which can help students understand how different qualifications in different fields compare to each other. The framework also helps students to understand what qualifications they need to progress towards a higher learning goal, such as a university degree or equivalent higher education award.

What is an ‘endorsed’ course?

An endorsed course is a skills based course which has been checked over and approved by an independent awarding body. Endorsed courses are not regulated so do not result in a qualification - however, the student can usually purchase a certificate showing the awarding body’s logo if they wish. Certain awarding bodies - such as Quality Licence Scheme and TQUK - have developed endorsement schemes as a way to help students select the best skills based courses for them.