Add to basket or enquire
A learning disability is a life-long condition that starts before adulthood. Mencap estimates that there are 1.5 million people with a learning disability in the UK, all with differing support needs.
This course helps practitioners in the adult care sector understand the causes and conditions linked to learning disabilities, and relevant legislation and guidance. It also suggests good practice in person-centred care, active support, participation, positive behaviour support, and communication.
- You will understand some of the causes and common conditions that can result in learning disabilities
- You will know the attributes which people need to support people with a learning disability
- You will understand the importance of person-centred care and planning for the future, taking risks, decision making and choices, encouraging independence, and supporting adults with learning disabilities to take part in community life and develop personal relationships
- This course touches on the historical treatment of people with learning disabilities, which is important to know and understand so we can learn from past mistakes, and ensure the health and social care services provided today are so much more inclusive, respectful, and put the best interests of the individual at the centre of our practice.
- One of the main sources of frustration for adults with learning disabilities is that everything is done for them and they have no control over their life. This course covers ways you can empower the people you support to lead a more independent life, and put them at the heart of any decisions that affects them.
- Website and video resources are used to explore good practice in supporting adults with learning disabilities in more detail
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
After purchasing this course on Reed, a customer service representative from Laser Learning will email you with an access code and instructions on how to redeem it on the Laser Short Course website. You will need to register on the Laser Short Course website if you have not done so already.
If the purchase was made within business hours, you should expect your access code email within 1-2 hours. If your purchase was made outside of business hours, you should expect your access code email the next working day.
Who is this course for?
This short course will serve as a refresher to an experienced adult care practitioner about supporting people with learning disabilities, and as an introduction to a practitioner who is new to role. This course may also be of benefit to a manager of a care team and setting with service users who have learning disabilities.
A computer, mobile, or tablet and an internet connection
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.