This programme is designed for people who work in, or wish to work in the field of retail sales, and who wish to develop the skills required to operate effectively in a variety of retail roles. No prior knowledge.It is suited to anyone wishing to learn a broad range of knowledge and skills pertinent to the wide variety of retail sales roles.
The course is designed for home study or distance learning and is comprised of comprehensive printed course notes presented in an A4 ring binder, together with course assignments and study guide. Tutor support and a student helpline facility are integral to the course, and students have a full 12 months in which to complete their studies. Actual study time will be of the order of 90-100 hours.
The course is divided up into eight study units, each with one tutor marked assignment to be completed. Each assignment contains approx 8-10 written tasks to be completed which are then submitted to a subject tutor for marking. Where required assignments can be re-submitted after amendment in the event that the assessment standards are not full met on first submission
The course units and topics are as follows:
Unit 1: Essential Elements of Communicating With Customers
- The communication process
- The importance of good communication skills
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Listening skills
- Written communication
- Visual communications
- The problems and consequences of poor communication
Unit 2: Adopt Good Practice with a Variety of Communication Methods
- Making a good first impression and building rapport
- Effectively communicating with customers
- Beginning and ending interactions
- Adjusting communication to suit context and needs of recipients
- Overcoming barriers to communication
- Checking others’ fully understand the communication
- Influencing people
- Managing conflict and resolving discrepancies
Unit 3: Identify Ways of Improving Personal Communications Skills
- Identify what communication skills, knowledge and behaviours are required to do your job well
- Assessing your current skills against the requirements of the post and identifying any shortfalls or skill gaps
- Developing a personal communication development plan
- Setting communication skills goals
- Participating in learning activities
- Reviewing your progress towards goals and updating your development plan
- Keeping records of learning activities
Unit 4: Day to Day Retail Store Operations
- Keeping cash and stock secure on retail premises
- Retail premises opening and closing procedures
- Receiving, processing, handling and storing stock
- Stock control
- Maintaining the retail premises’ image
- Handling customer payments
- Dealing with returns
Unit 5: Visual Merchandising
- The importance of window displays
- In store visual merchandising
- The overall look of displays
- Space allocation
- Stock selection
- Tools and equipment
- Housekeeping routines
Unit 6: Retail Sales
- Getting to know your products
- Getting to know your customers
- Getting to know your employer
- Getting to know your competition
- Selling to customers
- Techniques for maximising sales
Unit 7: Customer Service and Complaint Handling
- The importance of customer service
- The key features of excellent customer service
- Identifying customer expectations
- Dealing with customer complaints
- Understanding the complaint
- Resolving customer complaints
- Refund and exchange policies
Unit 8: Interview Skills
- Planning and preparing for the interview
- Presenting yourself at the interview
- Different types of interviews
- Answers to common questions
- Displaying positive body language
- Questions to ask at the end of the interview
- Following up after the interview
Who is this course for?
The course is intended for anyone in or entering a retail sales position and who wishes to acquire the essential skills required to be successful, and to understand how the retail sector operates.
There are no study pre-requirements as the course is intended for learners who have not studied this topic beforehand.
Suitable for anyone following or planning to take up one of a variety of retails sales positions.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers have been posted about this course.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.