Add to basket or enquire
Become a fully qualified proofreader or editor and master the English language with the Proofreading & Editing Course Level 5 Diploma. This course is endorsed by ABC Awards – a regulated organisation that ensures professional, reputable certification for further education.
In this training course, you will develop your proofreading and editing skills to ensure high-quality content every time. Whether you want to improve your essay writing or kickstart a career in book publishing, this distance learning program offers practical exercises and knowledge. You will learn the fundamentals of fact-checking, how to perfect your spelling and grammar, techniques for editing, and much more.
Do you know the difference between editors and proofreaders? This course will develop your understanding of these roles and their core responsibilities. You will learn how to proofread on paper and on-screen and will learn strategies for scanning documents quickly without missing vital errors. All that and much more is discussed in this best-selling masterclass.
- A thorough understanding of the editing process
- Understand what is expected of professional proofreaders and copy editors
- The basics of proofreading and copy editing
- Personal attributes of a professional proofreader and copy editor
- Learn to correct printed documents and webpages
- Understand the differences between proofreading and copy editing
- Know what a style guide and style sheets are and create an individual style
- Grasp the idea of marking up the text on paper, and learn methods and techniques for on-screen proofreading
- Identify common grammar errors, including different elements of a book or manuscript
- Gain the skills to be a proficient copy editor and proofreader
- Perform proofreading for the translation of legal documents
- Know how to start your business and become a self-employed editor and proofreader
- Successfully offer proofreading and copy-editing services and seize a great way to earn good money
Module 01: Proofreading Basics
- What is proofreading?
- Why is proofreading important?
- Proofreading references
- Formatting and presentation
- The job of a proofreader
- A proofreader’s personal qualities
- Language awareness and grammatical knowledge
- Proofreading terminology
- What proofreaders do?
- What is copy-editing?
- A proofreading and copy-editing glossary
- The publishing process from a proofreading perspective
Module 02: Applying the Style Guide
- Applying the style guide
- What a style guide is used for
- A list of standard style manuals
- Applying the style guide to different kinds of copy
Module 03: Spelling and Grammar
- Where to find reliable spelling and grammar references
- Spotting and correcting spelling and grammatical errors
- Identify the weaknesses in the text
Module 04: Proofreading on Paper
- Marking up a text on paper
- Methods and techniques of proofreading
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Module 05: Proofreading On-screen
- Methods and techniques for proofreading on-screen
- Proofreading for the commoner errors
- Proofreading for Stylistic Problems
Module 06: Copy-editing Basics
- The job of a copy-editor
- Common mistakes in a document
- The different levels of editing
- Getting your quote right
Module 07: Copy-editing – the Use of Language
- A summary of editing techniques
- Editing to produce fluent and simple copy
- Editing to remove inappropriate material
- Editing copy for multicultural audiences
Module 08: Copy-editing – Checking Accuracy and Facts
- Analysing words and phrases for accurate meaning
- Make sure a quote is a quote
- Begin with what you already know
Module 09: Copy-editing – the Beginning and the End
- Become a sourcing expert
- What is a reference mark?
- What style should you use for your note citations?
Module 10: Copy-editing – Legal Checks
- Explicit consent
- Consumer rights
- Value exchange
- Other considerations
Module 11: Finding Work and Developing Your Career
- How to find proofreading and copy-editing clients
- Copy-editing work
- Freelancing and building up your own business
Endorsed Certificate of Achievement
At the successful completion of the course, the learners can order an endorsed certificate by paying the accreditation fee of £108. There is an additional £10 postal charge for international students.
Certificate of Completion from Course Gate
At the successful completion of the course, the learners may order the Certificate of Completion from Course Gate (soft copy) by paying only £2. For the Printed hard copy of the certificate, the learners have to pay £9. There is an additional £10 delivery charge for international students.
Who is this course for?
This advanced Proofreading & Editing Course Level 5 Diploma is ideal for those who already possess an excellent knowledge of the English language and whose career involves writing marketing content or copy for an online audience. The course will be particularly beneficial for blog owners, freelance writers, aspiring editors, journalists and digital marketers who want to build their skillset for career advancement. This online training course can be studied in your own time and at your own convenience, offering a flexible alternative to traditional classroom learning.
- This course is available to all learners, of all academic backgrounds.
- Learners should be aged 16 or over to undertake the qualification.
- Good understanding of English language, numeracy and ICT are required to attend this course.
This accredited diploma course in proofreading and editing provides learners with the fundamental skills they need for career advancement in this field. Related career opportunities and job roles include:
- Copy editor
- Digital Content Writer
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
I would just like to know what ICT means. Thanks, Veronica.
Dear Veronica, Thank you for contacting us. ICT is an acronym that stands for Information Communications Technology. A good way to think about ICT is to consider all uses of digital technology that exist to help individuals, businesses and organisations use information. ThanksThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Hello, how many total hours to complete this course? Can I complete it in a week or two?
Dear Mohammed, Good afternoon. The estimated course duration is 300 hours of continuous study. However, you will get lifetime access to the course after purchasing, and you can complete it anytime. ThanksThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Do I have to pay for modules?
Dear Tilly, Good afternoon. You don't need to pay for each module. The exams and modules are included in the course price. ThanksThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.