An online Proofreading course for individuals and businesses
Practical and engaging assignments | Recognised qualification
Accredited by: ABCC | CPD | EADL | IADL | ABC Awards.
UKRLP number: 10008168.
Available to: UK and international learners.
Tutor support: Unlimited support from an expert.
Qualification: Level 4 diploma in Proofreading and editing.
Our accredited proofreading and editing course will equip you with the editorial skills you need to become a qualified proofreader and copy editor. This online course will show you how to correct printed documents and webpages, and make them readable and legally compliant.
Many leading corporations including British Gas, Royal Mail, Santander and Virgin Holidays have used this practical proofreading and editing course to train their writers. And many individuals testify that it is effective and great value for money.
This comprehensive online course is ideal for:
- Proofreaders and copy editors who want a recognised qualification.
- People who need to proofread documents at work.
- Students who need to get their assignments and dissertations perfect.
- Staff training and development.
- People who want to develop their skills or retrain.
There is an unprecedented demand for skilled proofreaders and copy editors. Each year, companies and organisations produce millions of documents and webpages that contain errors and inaccuracies. This affects their reputations.
They need qualified proofreaders and copy editors to work on:
- Reports, letters, and business documents.
- Commercial copy and brochures.
- Newspapers and magazines.
As a proofreader and copy editor, you could be:
- Raising the quality of your organisation’s content.
- Working in a specialised area, such as legal or academic publishing.
- Running a freelance business.
If you have a keen eye for detail, becoming a proofreader and copy editor is a great way to earn good money.
You will benefit from unlimited tutor support from either Rachel Finnegan or Julian Brouwer, who are both professional proofreaders and copy editors. They will help you every step of the way.
Your tutor will also give you personal feedback on every assignment, answer your questions and provide expert careers guidance, so you get the very best out of the course.
When you graduate, you will receive the ABC Awards level 4 diploma in proofreading and editing. Which proves you are a qualified proofreader and copy editor. ABC Awards is regulated by Ofqual.
Proofreading and editing course subjects
This course covers every aspect of proofreading and editing.
We sometimes add new subjects, remove old ones, and change the order, to keep them up-to-date.
Lesson 01: The basics
- What the proofreader does
- The proofreader's personal qualities
- Proofreading terminology
- The publishing process
Lesson 02: Applying style
- What a style guide is used for
- How to use a style guide
- Apply style to a range of copy
Lesson 03: Spelling and grammar
- Where to find reliable spelling and grammar facilities
- Spotting and correcting spelling and grammar errors
Lesson 04: Proofreading on paper
- Proofreading on paper symbols
- Proofreading methods and techniques
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Lesson 05: Proofreading on screen
- On screen proofreading symbols
- Methods and techniques for on screen proofreading
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Lesson 06: Copy-editing basics
- What a copy editor does
- Levels of editing
- The client's brief
- Editing with the reader in mind
Lesson 07: Copy-editing - use of language
- Learn summarising techniques
- Edit for fluent, plain and simple copy
- Edit to remove inappropriate material
- Edit copy for multicultural audiences
Lesson 08: Checking accuracy and facts
- Analyse words and phrases for accurate meaning
- Identify and correct factual errors
Lesson 09: Copy-editing - other elements
- Edit front and back matter such as footnotes, title pages, contents pages, appendices, references and indexes
Lesson 10: Legal checks
- Explain the basics of key publishing laws: copyright, defamation, data protection, privacy and contempt of court
- Apply publishing laws to a range of exercises
Lesson 11: Finding work and developing your career
- How to find proofreading and editing clients
- How to build your own business
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to. The duration of this course is approximately 3 months. You fit your studies around your lifestyle, and study at a pace you're completely comfortable with, it doesn't matter if you take longer than 3 months - there is no expiry date.
Who is this course for?
Our proofreading and editing course is suitable for people of all ages and abilities. We've worked with:
- beginners wanting to become professional proofreaders / editors
- people who need to work accurately, as part of their job roles
- businesses of all sizes
- website and blog owners who need to check their own content
- freelance writers who need to produce error free copy
- individuals who want to proofread as a hobby
- existing proofreaders / editors looking to refresh or upgrade their current skills
No experience or previous qualifications are required for this course. It is available to people of all ages and abilities. The only thing we ask is that you have good English language skills.
Proofreader / copy editor / web editor / document specialist
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.