College of Media and Publishing
Add to basket or enquireEnquire now
Many leading corporations including British Gas, Cancer research UK, Lloyds Bank, the NHS and Virgin Media, use this accredited proofreading course to train their staff. And many individuals testify that it is effective and great value for money.
You will learn the editorial skills needed to become a certified, professional proofreader and copy editor.
This online proofreading and copy editing course will show you how to correct printed documents and webpages, and make them readable and legally compliant.
- Certification: ABC & Certa Awards certificate of achievement.
- Endorsed by: ABC & Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme.
- Accredited by: ABCC | CPD | EADL | IADL.
- Government registered?: Yes. UKRLP number: 10008168.
- Available to: UK and international learners.
- Tutor support: Unlimited support from an expert.
- Tutor marked assignments: 11 practical, tutor marked assignments.
There is an unprecedented demand for skilled proofreaders and copy editors.
Each year, companies and organisations produce millions of documents and webpages that contain errors and inaccuracies. This affects their reputations.
They need certified proofreaders and copy editors to work on:
- Reports, letters, and business documents.
- Commercial copy and brochures.
- Newspapers and magazines.
Our proofreading course covers all these areas and more, so you have the most up to date skills and knowledge, and the confidence to market yourself to potential clients.
You will also benefit from unlimited tutor support every step of the way, including personalised feedback on every assignment.
Successful proofreading course graduate Peter Fullagar told us “The tutor support makes the course outstanding. Excellent feedback given in a timely manner. The course content went beyond what I was expecting.”
This vocational proofreading course covers every aspect of proofreading and editing. Each lesson includes a practical assignment, based on real-world proofreading and editing. (see course subjects list below)
Our comprehensive proofreading and editing course will teach you how to:
- Proofread and copy edit documents, either in print or onscreen.
- Apply style guides and BSI proofreading symbols.
- Make written content easier to read.
- Set up a freelance business and find paid work.
This proofreading course also qualifies you for 6 SfEP points, which means you can join the Society for Editors and Proofreaders as an entry level member.
We have a proven track record in helping our proofreading and editing learners find work, set up as successful freelancers and learn new skills to use in the workplace.
Another recent graduate, Felicity Yau, has established herself as a successful freelance proofreader and copy editor. She is the latest of a number of learners who have gone on to successful freelance careers.
As a proofreader and copy editor, you could be:
- Raising the quality of your organisation’s content.
- Working in a specialised area, such as legal or academic publishing.
- Running your own freelance proofreading and copy editing business.
If you have a keen eye for detail, becoming a proofreader and copy editor is a great way to earn good money.
PROOFREADING COURSE CERTIFICATION
This proofreading and editing course has been independently endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. So at the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the Units the learner has completed as part of the course).
In addition, you will receive the accredited CMP level 4 diploma in proofreading and editing, which is recognised in the UK and beyond. It proves you are a qualified proofreader and editor.
These awards will enable you to apply for proofreading and editing jobs, find freelance work, or use your new skills in the workplace.
PROOFREADING COURSE SUBJECTS
Proofreading Lesson 01: The basics
- What the proofreader does
- The proofreader's personal qualities
- Proofreading terminology
- The publishing process
Proofreading Lesson 02: Applying style
- What a style guide is used for
- How to use a style guide
- Apply style to a range of copy
Proofreading Lesson 03: Spelling and grammar
- Where to find reliable spelling and grammar facilities
- Spotting and correcting spelling and grammar errors
Proofreading Lesson 04: Proofreading on paper
- Proofreading on paper symbols
- Proofreading methods and techniques
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Proofreading Lesson 05: Proofreading on screen
- On screen proofreading symbols
- Methods and techniques for on screen proofreading
- Marking up copy clearly and accurately
Proofreading Lesson 06: Copy-editing basics
- What a copy editor does
- Levels of editing
- The client's brief
- Editing with the reader in mind
Proofreading Lesson 07: Copy-editing - use of language
- Learn summarising techniques
- Edit for fluent, plain and simple copy
- Edit to remove inappropriate material
- Edit copy for multicultural audiences
Proofreading Lesson 08: Checking accuracy and facts
- Analyse words and phrases for accurate meaning
- Identify and correct factual errors
Proofreading Lesson 09: Copy-editing - other elements
- Edit front and back matter such as footnotes, title pages, contents pages, appendices, references and indexes
Proofreading Lesson 10: Legal checks
- Explain the basics of key publishing laws: copyright, defamation, data protection, privacy and contempt of court
- Apply publishing laws to a range of exercises
Proofreading Lesson 11: Finding work and developing your career
- How to find proofreading and editing clients
- How to build your own business
PROOFREADING COURSE TUTORS: JULIAN BROUWER AND SHUNA MEADE
We have two tutors on our proofreading and editing course. Julian Brouwer Shuna Meade are both professional proofreaders and copy editors.
They will provide you with personal feedback on every assignment, answer your questions and give you expert careers guidance, so you get the very best out of your proofreading course.
HELP WHEN YOU FINISH
We have a proven track record in helping people find work and establish themselves as successful freelance proofreaders.
We give advice on which agencies to join, how to market yourself correctly, and we also help you to devise a step by step plan to help you find clients.
We also provide assistance in helping you with your CV, covering letters and interview preparation for any jobs you apply for.
Who is this course for?
Our proofreading and editing course is suitable for people of all ages and abilities. We've worked with:
- beginners wanting to become professional proofreaders / editors
- people who need to work accurately in the workplace
- businesses of all sizes
- website and blog owners who need to check their own content
- freelance writers who need to produce error free copy
- individuals who want to proofread as a hobby
- existing proofreaders / editors looking to refresh or upgrade their current skills
No previous academic experience or previous qualifications are required for this proofreading course. It is available to people of all ages and abilities. The only thing we ask is that you have good written English.
This proofreading course has an excellent track record for success.
You could be:
- Using your new proofreading and editing skills in the workplace
- Raising the quality of an organisation’s content.
- Working in a specialised proofreading area, such as legal or academic publishing.
- Running your own freelance proofreading and editing business.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.