Add to basket or enquire
Proofreading – Elearning course
Proofreading or Proofreading? Whatever you choose, one of our proofreading top tips is that you have to be consistent.
Successful proofreading can make the difference between a really effective piece of writing, and one that confuses, bores or even antagonises your reader. If you need to proofread anything, for professional, corporate, academic or personal use, then this practical interactive online course delivers everything you need to make you quicker, better and much more effective at proofreading.
The course comes in 3 parts:
- What proofreading is, where mistakes occur and the skills we need to be an effective proofreader
- The knowledge required to proofread effectively
- Methods and processes
The course is packed with interactive exercises so you can practice what you learn as soon as you learn it.
There are handy tips and checklists at key stages of the course. These cover vital topics including:
- Developing a fresh eye
- Using a dictionary
- Making multiple passes
- Checking corrected proofs against marked-up proofs
- 10 ways to effective proofreading
You will learn:
- What proofreading is and what it can achieve
- Boundaries and responsibilities: some key points about proofreading
- How do we spot mistakes including factual, typographical, numerical, spelling, formatting, consistency, grammatical, punctuation
- Proofreading skills/abilities
- Tenses, singulars and plurals, "that" and "which", apostrophes, commas
- Proofreading marks
- How we proofread on paper and on screen
- Working with your house style
- Dealing with numbers, dates and facts
- Grammar, tenses and spelling
- Key punctuation rules and guidelines
- The most common errors to correct
- Getting the most out of your proofreading tools
- A variety of reading and checking styles and methods
- How to overcome proofreading barriers and hurdles
If you sat down and did the course in one sitting, it would take approximately 3-4 hours to complete. However, the exercises and quizzes we include mean it can take longer. You can work at your own pace, and dip in and out of the course as often as you want, and go back to sections to really make sure you've understood. If you have any queries at all, you are very welcome to get in touch with the trainer as often as you want.
If you want to add personal one-to-one trainer feedback to the course, the price is £69.99 + tax.
Discounted rates are available for multiple users. The discount applies to this course or a mix of elearning courses. We will give you an immediate 10% discount off your second course if you book with us again.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Is this course accredited?
Not officially no, but we are the training provider of choice for the media industry, and run the PPA Foundation Certificate in Journalism.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Is this course accredited, do you get a certificate at the end and is this included in the price?
Hello Olivia You receive a certificate of completion at the end of your course and this is included in the price. Best wishes, LucyThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
After completion, will this course allow me to find work as a free lance proofreader? Thank you.
Hi Hayley There is no guarantee that by doing the course you will definitely find work as a freelance proofreader, but it will certainly give you the skills you need. I hope that helps and good luck. Best wishes, LucyThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.