Add to basket or enquire
Patient Moving and Handling Level 2 - Online Training Course - CPD Certified
Welcome to our patient moving and handling online training course for front-line healthcare and social care providers. All our online training courses, programmes and qualifications are accredited by the CPD Certification Service (CPDUK).
They are also developed in line with the latest UK legislation and meet the requirements set out by the National Back Exchange (NBE), National Health Service (NHS), Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF), the Care Quality Commission (CQC), Skills for Care, UK Health and Safety Executive and other professional and regulatory bodies.
Patient moving and handling online training course
Study method – Online, self-paced
Course format – Online (24/7 access), modular
Course Duration – Part-time (1-year access)
Qualification – CPD certificate of completion
Course Delivery – via desktop PC/MAC, laptops, tablets or smartphones
Awarded Body – CPD Accreditation Service (UK)
Anticipated duration (Indicative CPD hours) – 2 hours.
Why is patient moving and handling training essential?
Healthcare settings can pose significant moving and handling challenges and risks. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders, including manual handling injuries, are the most common type of occupational ill health in the UK (Health and Safety Executive 2011).
Given nature, type and frequency of moving and handling activities undertaken the risks of injury to staff and patients are considerable and need to be minimised. As part of health and safety at work requirements, employers are expected to provide training on crucial health and safety risks, and this has been supplemented with additional guidance covering the specific activity of moving and handling.
This moving and handling e-learning course was developed to meet the required learning outcomes in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF), the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) recommendations for health and social care providers.
Assessment and certification
At the end of this patient moving and handling online training course, learners will be required to complete an online assessment. On successful completion of the knowledge test (80% pass mark), learners will be able to download a FREE CPD certificate that can be used to provide evidence for audit and compliance.
The content of this patient moving and handling online training course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
All learning materials are designed in collaboration with The Mandatory Training Group, the leading UK providers of workforce development solutions for all sectors.
Payment and additional information
After adding your patient moving and handling training course (s) to the shopping cart (by selecting Add to Cart), you will be able to make a secure payment using all major credit and debit cards.
Once you have purchased your patient moving and handling training course (s), you will be sent a confirmation e-mail. You will then receive a link and login details to access your e-learning course (s) within a few minutes of purchase.
Legislative and regulatory framework
All our healthcare and social care courses are compliant with the relevant regulatory and legislative frameworks, including:
- Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF);
- Skills for Care’s Care Certificate;
- CQC’s Common Induction Standards;
- Resuscitation Council (UK) Guidelines;
- National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines;
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and many other regulatory organisations’ recommendations for employers and employees
E-learning for health care & social care organisations
- Are you looking to buy multiple CPD online training courses?
- Or perhaps explore the benefits of online learning, blended learning and how to set up your organisational e-learning?
- Regardless of how big or small your e learning requirements are, MHC Training Solutions will help you to stay ahead with online learning.
Patient Moving and Handling Level 2 - Online Training Course - CPD Certified
Aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of this patient moving and handling training course are to:
- To provide a clear understanding of the legislation regarding moving and handling,
- To help learners understand the risks of poor practice,
- To provide an awareness of recommended ergonomic techniques to minimise manual handling injuries in practice, and
- To inform learners how to carry out manual handling tasks safely.
Level 1: All staff, including unpaid and voluntary staff
- Be able to recognise manual handling risk factors and how injuries can occur
- Understand employers and employees responsibilities under relevant national Health & Safety legislation including most recent versions of the Manual Handling Operation Regulations
- Understand their responsibilities under local organisational policies for Moving and Handling
- Know where additional advice and information can be sought relating to Moving and Handling issues
- Be able to use an ergonomic approach to manual handling and other work tasks leading to improved working posture
- Understand the principles of good back care to promote general musculoskeletal health
- Understand the principles of safer handling
- Know the factors to be included in undertaking a dynamic risk assessment before initiating a moving and handling activity
- Understand how the organisation uses its risk management processes to inform safe systems of work
- Be able to choose suitable risk control strategies, resources and support available to facilitate good practice following a risk assessment appropriate to the staff member’s role.
Load Handling Staff
Staff involved as part of their duties in the moving and handling of inanimate loads will require principle-based practical instruction on strategies and approaches for safely moving and handling inanimate loads, relevant to their role in the organisation.
Level 2: Those staff groups, including unpaid and voluntary staff, whose role involves patient handling activities
Patient Handling Staff In addition to the learning outcomes listed for all employees, staff identified as being involved in patient handling activities will be required to meet the following additional outcomes. The learner will:
- Know how to provide patients with the best quality care using appropriate, safe and dignified moving and handling strategies
- Understand normal human movement patterns as a prerequisite to moving and handling people
- Understand how multidisciplinary team communication and risk assessments ensure the safe handling of patients.
Staff involved as part of their duties in the moving and handling of patients will require principle-based practical instruction on strategies and approaches for safely moving and handling patients, relevant to their role in the organisation:
- chair moves and transfers
- bed/trolley/table moves and transfers
- managing the falling/fallen patient
- use of equipment available within the organisation, e.g. profiling beds, patient hoists and slings, bathing aids, sliding and transferring systems, small handling aids to promote independence.
Training should be supported with practical instruction and competence assessment by workplace supervisors in the use of any mechanical aids provided for undertaking Moving and Handling tasks.
NB: Additional learning outcomes, or specific training, may be necessary to meet the particular needs or function of individual organisations. These should be determined by local risk assessment and policy. It is the responsibility of employers to ensure that their staff attend the necessary practical training/assessments in line with local policies and procedures.
What is covered in this patient moving and handling course?
This online patient moving and handling training course covers the following:
- An introduction to the fundamental principles of moving and handling,
- An overview of why ergonomic moving and handling is essential,
- What the law says about moving and handling,
- The actions that organisations should take to promote a safer workforce (organisational responsibilities),
- Individual duties concerning moving and handling (personal responsibilities),
- Definition of manual handling,
- Why we need to understand how our spine and back work,
- An awareness of the most common moving and handling injuries,
- How healthcare workers can promote healthy back care,
- Recommended ergonomic approaches to risk assessments (LITE/TILE),
- Other moving and handling risk factors,
- The principles of safer moving and handling of people,
- Actions to take following a moving and handling risk assessment:
- The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) 'Numerical Guidelines for Lifting and Lowering Loads'
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidelines for handling while seated
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) pushing and pulling guidelines
- Key things to remember when team handling and
- Moving and handling information sources (online manual handling learning resources).
Why choose MHC Training Solutions’ online training courses?
MHC Training Solutions is a leading provider of accredited mandatory training courses including health and safety courses, healthcare training courses, health and social care training courses, home care training, online training courses, management courses and clinical skills workshops among many others.
There are other benefits of choosing MHC Training Solutions’ as your e-learning training provider, including:
- free blended learning environment for individuals and meeting UK compliance requirements
- An approved UK training centre
- Over 1000 online CPD courses
- Internationally recognized CPD certificates
- SCORM compliant e-Learning courses
- TIN CAN compliant e-Learning courses
- organizations to support existing training
- competitively priced online training courses
- immediate access to online learning materials
- minimise travel costs and man hour costs of classroom training
- minimise hours and days spent away in classroom training
- download or print CPD certificates on completion
- UK accredited e-learning provider
- Ofqual accredited qualifications
- Free blended learning environment to support existing training
- Substantial cost reductions (no travel fees & other expenses)
- Embrace the benefits of e-Learning for healthcare providers
- Online training only takes as long as the learners needs
- Low carbon footprint through e learning
- Repository of online learning materials and assessment
- Fully qualified and experienced trainers, instructors and assessors
- Subject matter experts and content developers
- Convert your existing classroom courses to e-learning courses
All training courses based on latest guidance and best practice
National Skills Academy (Health) National Delivery Partner
We are a National Skills Academy for Health National Delivery Partner and also have a range of Qualifications and Credit Framework courses in collaboration with various awarding bodies.
Health care and social care training experts
All our online training courses are written in line with established CPD Standards and comply with the requirements of all Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulated organisations, including:
- NHS Trusts;
- Clinical commissioning groups (CCGs);
- GP practices;
- private hospitals and other healthcare providers;
- nursing and residential care homes;
- community based adult social care provider;
- hospices and other community based settings;
- recruitment agencies and locum agencies supplying staff to the NHS and the private sector
Who is this course for?
This online patient moving and handling training course is aimed at all staff throughout the NHS and private healthcare and social care sectors, including:
- All new employees, whether clinical or non-clinical,
- Existing staff completing mandatory refresher training,
- Locum doctors and healthcare professionals,
- Agency nurses and healthcare assistants (HCAs),
- NHS professionals temporary or bank staff), and
- Unpaid and voluntary staff.
This online patient moving and handling training course can be completed as a standalone module or as part of our Skills for Health CSTF Aligned Mandatory Training Packages.
To complete this patient moving and handling online training course, you will need access to a computer device, e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone device
Our patient moving and handling online training course is suitable for:
- Those who are looking to improve their knowledge of the subject area,
- Those whose jobs require periodic continuing professional development (CPD), and
- Those who need to show evidence as part of their professional registration requirements, e.g., doctors, nurses and allied health professionals.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
Is there another option to get your certificate other than downloading it?
Good day Davian, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no other way besides downloading the certificate. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance. Kind regards, RitaThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Hi, when you complete this course, what is the process of getting the certificate?
Good afternoon Zachary, Thank you for your question. Please note that on completion of each module or training programme (and achieving the required pass mark(s) i.e at least 80%), you will be able to download a CPD certificate (pdf). Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kind regards, Rita Imperium Edge Support TeamThis was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.