Academy for Health & Fitness
Add to basket or enquire
In 2020, the infant mortality rate was 3.6 deaths per 1000 live births across the UK. This emphasises the significance of pregnancy and maternity care. Are you caring for a newborn baby, or aiming to take up the role of a maternity carer? Then this Maternity Care Assistant Course is the right option for you. You will go through the fundamentals of maternal health, nutrition, and support during labour throughout the course. Our course not only covers the topics on care for newborn babies but also the comprehensive caring guide for pregnant women from labour till after-birth. Also, discover the postnatal care process including the mother's body, hormone levels, uterus size, and the return to her non-pregnant state.
With our online course on maternity care assistant, you have the benefit of completing the training in your own time — at home, on the go, day or night. In addition to newborn and maternity care skills, earn a CPD & IAO accredited certificate as proof of your expertise in the relevant field and enhance your chances of getting related jobs. Our advanced audiovisual learning materials have been designed by specialists. Gain new professional skills today through expert support & guidance with our pregnancy and maternity care curriculum.
On top of everything, you'll get a free Student ID card by enrolling in this Maternity Care Assistant course. This ID card entitles you to discounts on bus tickets, movie tickets, and library cards.
PLEASE NOTE: The completion of this course does not result in a Maternity Care Assistant degree or allow participants to practice professionally. This course is not linked to the HCPC.
What Will You Learn From This Maternity Care Assistant Course:
- Importance of maternity care & how it's different from midwifery
- Terminology & abbreviations for maternity care assistant including anatomical direction & direction
- Ability to diagnose the pregnant women health condition, provide antenatal care & carrying out screening tests
- Planning diets during the labour period and pain management support
- The postnatal examination processes of the newborn baby & new mother
- Effective interpersonal skills to advise new mothers on postnatal exercise, newborn's nutrition, parent consultation
- The roles of a maternity care assistant in feeding infants assisting mothers in breastfeeding, artificial feeding, and parental mental health
- Identify the signs and symptoms of infection in newborns, such as infectious diarrhoea and gastroenteritis, hepatitis B virus, HIV etc
- Basic nutritional requirements in pregnancy and care during the third stage of labour
- Team collaboration and skills to become a maternity care assistant
The Maternity Care Assistant course has been designed by experts, to create a rich and in-depth training experience for all the students who enrol on it. Enrol on the Maternity Care Assistant course now and get instant access to all Maternity Care Assistant course materials. Then, enjoy the Maternity Care Assistant course materials online from any internet-enabled device and learn when it suits you. Start your learning journey with this Maternity Care Assistant course straight away and take a step forward in securing a better future!
Why should you choose the Maternity Care Assistant course with Academy for Health & Fitness?
- Opportunity to earn a certificate accredited by CPD & IAO after completing this Maternity Care Assistant course
- Student ID card with amazing discounts — completely for FREE! (£10 postal charges will be applicable for international delivery)
- Globally accepted standard structured lesson planning
- Innovative and engaging contents and activities
- Assessments that measure higher-level thinking and skills
- Complete the Maternity Care Assistant programme in your own time, at your own pace
- Each of our students gets full tutor support on weekdays (Monday to Friday)
Here is the curriculum breakdown of the Maternity Care Assistant course:
Module 01: Introduction to Maternity Care
- What Is Maternity Care?
- Importance of Maternity Care in the Society
- Maternity Care Assistant
- Midwife v/s Maternity Care Assistant
Module 02: Terminology and Abbreviations for Maternity Care Assistant
- Anatomical Directions
- Anatomical Movement
Module 03: Reproductive Anatomy & Physiology
- The Pelvis
- Muscles of the Perineum
- Ovarian Hormones
Module 04: Antenatal Care and Screening
- What Is Antenatal Care?
- Aspects of Care
- Encouraging Early Antenatal Care for All Women
- Diagnosis of Pregnancy
- Initial Evaluation of the Pregnant Woman
- Evaluation of Health Risks in the Pregnant Woman
- Ongoing Care of the Pregnant Woman
- Care of the Pregnant Woman with Edema
Module 05: Support in Labour: Intrapartum Care
- Facilitating and Maintaining Normality in Childbirth
- Place of Birth
- Management of Labour
- Pain Management in Labour
- Observations to Assess Progress in Labour
- Diet During Labour
- Support Required During Labour
Module 06: Postnatal Care
- Immediate Postnatal Period
- Postnatal Examination of the WOMAN
- Postnatal Examination of the NEW-BORN
- Changes to Postnatal Care
- Quality Standards Influencing Postnatal Care Provision
- Care and Compassion
- Involving Fathers with Postnatal Care
- Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Postnatal Exercise Advice for New Mothers
Module 07: Nurture and Nature: The Healthy Newborn
- Transition to Parenthood
- Parent-Infant Relationships
- Family Structures
- Positive Parenting
- Responding to Parental Concerns
Module 08: Infant feeding
- Importance of Breastfeeding
- Gold Standard
- Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract
- Normal Neonatal Metabolism
- Factors Influencing the Initiation and Duration of Breastfeeding
- Role of the Maternity Care Assistant
- Assisting Breastfeeding
- Artificial Feeding
Module 09:Newborn Infection
- Antenatal Screening for Infection
- Newborn Immunity
- Prevention of Infection
- Signs and Symptoms of Infection in the Newborn
- The Baby at Birth
- Infections Acquired During Pregnancy
- Infections Acquired During Birth
Module 10: Care During the Third Stage of Labour
- Primary Postpartum Haemorrhage
- Causes and Risk Factors Associated with Primary PPH
- Prolonged Third Stage
- Care Provided by Maternity Assistant
Module 11: Perinatal mental health
- The Importance of Mental Health in a Maternity Context
- Identification and Assessment
- Identifying Risk Factors
- Antenatal, Postnatal or a Continuum
- Categories of PMI
- Anxiety Disorders
- Care Provision
Module 12: Supporting a Healthy Pregnancy
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Basic Nutritional Requirements in Pregnancy
- Herbs During Pregnancy
- Herbs for Labour and Birth
- Postpartum Herbs
- Prenatal Fitness & Exercise
Module 13: Effective Communication
- Communication Skills
- Types of Communication
- Communication – What Is Your Style?
- Communicating with People in Your Care and Their Significant Others
- Communication within the Health Care Team
- Humour in Communication
- Communication Across Cultures
Module 14: Empathy and Comfort Skills
- Awareness of Cultural Differences in the Expression of Distress
- Specific Principles
Module 15: Team Working
- What Is a Team?
- Woman-Centred Care
Module 16: Maternity Care Assistance as a Career
- How to Become a Maternity Care Assistant?
- Housekeeping and Environmental Responsibilities
- Clinical Care
- Administration and Clerical Responsibilities
- Required Skills
- Required Knowledge
Once you have completed all the modules in the Maternity Care Assistant course, your skills and knowledge will be tested with an automated multiple-choice assessment. You will then receive instant results to let you know if you have successfully passed the Maternity Care Assistant course.
Showcase Your Accomplishment of New Skills: Get a Certification of Completion
The learners have to successfully complete the assessment of this Maternity Care Assistant course to achieve the CPD & IAO accredited certificate. Digital certificates can be ordered for only £10. The learner can purchase printed hard copies inside the UK for £29, and international students can purchase printed hard copies for £39
Who is this course for?
Is this Maternity Care Assistant course right for you?
Anyone associated with pregnancy and motherhood will find the rich learning materials of this Maternity Care Assistant Course truly beneficial. This comprehensive course will teach you the details of caring for newborns and postpartum mothers. Our course is ideal for anyone who has experience with babies and wants to become a private, non-medical maternity nurse. You don't need any prior experience to enrol in this course.
There are no previous knowledge requirements for the Maternity Care Assistant program; this is open to anyone! Any learning enthusiast from anywhere in the world can enrol on this Maternity Care Assistant course without any hesitation.
All students must have a passion for learning and literacy, as well as being over the age of 16.
Browse this 100% online course from any internet device, including your computer, tablet or smartphone. Study at your own pace and earn an industry Skillset with this Maternity Care Assistant course.
Aim for the role of maternity care assistant to ensure families settle into life with their newborns and offer guidance and encouragement throughout parenting. Equip yourself with professional skills and look into opportunities like —
- Maternity Care Assistant
- Neonatal nurse
- Maternity Nurse
- Medical Staff
- Maternity support worker
- Health visitor
And many more!
Questions and answers
Currently there are no Q&As for this course. Be the first to ask a question.
Currently there are no reviews for this course. Be the first to leave a review.