The qualification will give individuals the skills and knowledge required to start a career in railway engineering track maintenance. It is suitable for individuals who are new to the railway or currently working in the railway track maintenance environment and want to attain a relevant Level 2 qualification.
This qualification is a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ). It involves the skills and knowledge needed for working in railway engineering track maintenance. NVQs are based on national occupational standards, which the learner must meet to be competent in a particular task. The achievement of NVQs will encourage an employee to value their contribution to the workplace, and it will develop their skills and potential within the railway engineering track maintenance field.
Why choose EAL for railway engineering?
EAL is the specialist, employer recognised awarding organisation for the engineering, manufacturing, building services and related sectors.
The qualification is achieved by completing a set of mandatory and optional units including the following:
- Introduction to the Railway Industry, Understanding British Values, Fire Safety Principles
- Prepare to undertake duties in the rail industry
- Contribute to the security of the work environment in the rail industry
- Carry out a routine inspection of the Permanent Way infrastructure
- Prepare small plant, measuring equipment and tools for Permanent Way renewal or maintenance
Introduction to the Railway Industry:
- Monday to Friday 10 days, 10:30 – 16:30
Level 2 Diploma in Railway Engineering Track Maintenance:
- Monday to Tuesday, 2 days per week, 10:30 – 16:30
Portfolio of Evidence and online learning
Practical assessment in a railway environment
Resources or equipment required for your course
Notebook, ruler, pen, pencil and access to a PC for home study or online learning*.
Please Note: PPE will be required for offsite training: Orange Hi-vis Vest, Trousers, Helmet, and Steel Toe Cap Boots.
*If you do not have access to a PC or laptop, access to PC or laptop is available at the centre.
Certification and accreditation details
- EAL Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Railway Engineering Track Maintenance
- Level 2 Award in Fire Safety Principles
- Level 1 Award in Understanding British Values
- Entry to the Railway Industry Gateway to Work Programme (LSDN) which includes: Medical, Drugs and Alcohol Test, Personal Track Safety (PTS), Industry Common Induction (ICI) with guaranteed interview (terms and conditions apply).
- Level 3 Diploma in Railway Engineering Track Maintenance.
- EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Rail Engineering Signalling Maintainer and Fault Finder
- Advanced Rail Engineering (Infrastructure)
Who is this course for?
Who is this qualification for? This qualification is for:
individuals who need recognition of their competence in railway engineering track maintenance activities and also need a nationally recognised qualification at Level 3
learners who are undertaking a SEMTA apprenticeship and wish to progress onto an advanced apprenticeship
those who are working in a railway engineering track maintenance environment and would like to work towards a relevant Level 2 qualification
those who are new to railway engineering track maintenance but are looking for a career change and wish to develop new skills within the industry.
Track Maintenance Supervisor, Signalling Technician, Protection Master, Traction and Rolling Stock Technician, Skilled and Leading Track Operative.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.