Working as a Legal Secretary at a law firm requires meticulous organisational skills and a lot of attention to detail. The core skills for a Legal Secretary include PA responsibilities, administrative duties, diary management, client liaison, executive support, proofreading, audio or copy typing, minute taking, modifying of documents, and much more.
The Legal Secretary and Office Skills Diploma is designed to help you master the core skills of a Legal Secretary. You’ll understand the organisational aspects of the job and what involved in successfully administering a legal service or law firms.
On completion, you’ll be able to set yourself apart as an in-demand secretarial professional in the legal field and develop the ability to work on multiple projects and cases at one time.
Highlights of the Legal Secretary and Office Skills Diploma:
- Determine the crucial roles and responsibilities of Legal Secretaries
- Improve your skills in Office Admin and Administrative Management
- Learn proper phone etiquette, to keep records of clients and prepare legal documentation
- Successfully schedule and organise meetings to meet project goals
- Learn to coordinate work with MS Word
- Enhance your Organisational Skills that improve your prospects of gaining employment or promotion
- Discover the importance of effective communication to build lasting relationships with your clients
- Learn suitable ways to handle challenging customers
The Legal Secretary and Office Skills Diploma is taught through accessible, informative video lessons, online study materials, mock exams and automated assessments. You gain an overall understanding of what legal secretary and paralegal roles entail, along with developing specific skills in verbal and nonverbal communication, preparing legal documents and proofreading, along with broader transferable office administration skills in time management and the use of Microsoft Word.
This course is designed with the following modules:
- Introduction to Legal Secretary
- Role of Legal Secretaries
- General Duties and Day-to-Day Operations of a Legal Secretary
- Record Keeping
- Legal Writing Skills & Proofreading
- Research Skills You Need to Know
- Transcription, Editing & Correspondence to Judges
- Legal System of the UK
- UK Court System
Meeting Management & Minute Taking
- Meeting Management
- The Role of a Minute-Taker
- The Skills of a Minute-Taker
- Meeting Agreements
- Minute Styles
- What Do I Record?
- Techniques for Preparing Minutes
- Taking Minutes in an Interactive Meeting
- The Minute Book
- What to include/what to ignore
- Motions and Resolutions
- Method of recording minutes
- Reasons for Meeting
- What is a decision?
- Minute Taking tips
Other Secretarial Roles and Responsibilities
- Working with Your Manager
- Administrative Soft Skills
- Effective Time Management
- Tools of the Trade
- Being an Effective Gatekeeper
- Organizational Skills
- Confidentiality Guidelines
- Special Tasks
Customer Service Role
- The Power of Positive Thinking in Customer Service
- Types of Difficult Customers and How to Help Them
- How to Deal with Difficult Customers
- Aspects of Phone Etiquette
- Using Proper Phone Language
- Eliminate Phone Distractions
- Inbound Calls
- Outbound Calls
- Handling Rude or Angry Callers
- Handling Interoffice Calls
- Methods of Training Employees
- Correcting Poor Telephone Etiquette
Organizing Work Using MS Word
- Working with the Interface
- Your First Document
- Basic Editing Tasks
- Basic Formatting Tasks
- Formatting Paragraphs
- Advanced Formatting Tasks
- Working with Styles
- Formatting the Page
- Sharing Your Document
- What does a Proofreader do?
- Proofreading Symbols
- Proofreading on Paper & Screen
- Strategies to Check for Specific Errors
- Editing & Proofreading Strategies
- Proofreading an Essay
How is the course assessed?
To successfully complete the course you must pass an automated, multiple-choice assessment. The assessment is delivered through our online learning platform. You will receive the results of your assessment immediately upon completion.
While I receive a certificate of completion?
Upon successful completion you will qualify for the UK and internationally-recognised professional qualification and you can choose to make your achievement formal by obtaining your Certificate at an additional cost.
Who is this course for?
Whether you’re an existing practitioner or aspiring professional, this course will enhance your expertise and boost your CV with key skills and an accredited qualification attesting to your knowledge.
The Legal Secretary and Office Skills Diploma is open to all, with no formal entry requirements. All you need is a passion for learning, a good understanding of the English language, numeracy and IT, and to be over the age of 16.
An entry-level Legal Secretary can expect to earn an average annual salary between £18,000 and £22,000.
A Legal Secretary with mid-career experience can expect to earn an average annual salary between £22,000 and £33,000.
A highly experienced Legal Secretary can expect to earn an average annual salary between £35,000 and £40,000 or more.
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
How many hours is this course?
Hi Amber, Thanks for reaching out. The estimated course duration is 38 hours if you study it continuously. However, you will get one year access to the course upon purchasing and you can complete it anytime within a year. Thanks.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.
Please sign in to review this course.
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.