Add to basket or enquire
This Laboratory Technician Diploma covers the essential skills and information you will need to take advantage of this demand.
While a laboratory can be a centre of innovation and creation, it can also be a place of danger if you do not know the correct way to handle and use the different laboratory equipment. That’s where laboratory technicians come in. Often called the backbone of scientific research, good laboratory technicians are needed now more than ever.
Covering the basic skills you should know about working in the laboratory safely, you will come to understand a laboratory’s complex systems and learn how to perform highly technical mechanical and diagnostic tests in a range of different medical and scientific laboratories. This Laboratory Technician course also covers the procedures for collecting, studying and analysing samples, performing tests on body fluids, teeth, chemical compounds, biological specimens and other fields of science. By taking this Laboratory Technician Diploma, you will quickly learn to master the essential laboratory skills, boost your confidence and improve your career prospects.
Highlights of the Laboratory Technician Diploma:
- Gain insider information into becoming a qualified Laboratory Technician.
- Grasp the vital role of medical laboratory services and crucial laboratory policies
- Know the solutions used in the medical laboratory.
- Discover the significant steps to implement precaution and safety control standards.
- Understand why laboratory wares widely used in medical laboratories.
- Get an introduction to laboratory instruments and quality assurance.
- Develop your knowledge about sterilisation and disinfection, including laboratory accidents and safety procedures, such as infectious agents, poisons, explosives, flammable, high temperatures, high voltage, and many more.
We’ve taken this comprehensive Laboratory Technician Diploma course and broken it down into 10 manageable modules which we believe will assist you to easily grasp each concept – from the fundamental to the most advanced aspects of the lab technician skills. It really is a sure pathway to success for you to become a medical laboratory technician.
This Laboratory Technician Diploma course is designed with the following modules:
Module 01: Introduction to Laboratory Technician
- Introduction to the Course
- History of medical laboratory science
- What is a Laboratory
- Types of Laboratories
- Classification of Laboratories
- Classification of Medical Laboratories
- Laboratory Organisation
- Structure and Activities of Medical Laboratory Services
Module 02: Medical Laboratory Services
- Role of Medical Laboratory Services
- Major Roles of a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Rules & Regulations of Medical Laboratory
- Medical Laboratory Request Forms
- Delivery of laboratory results
- Professional code of conduct and ethics
- Standard Laboratory Policies
- Laboratory hour and emergency work
- The range of tests to be performed and those to be referred to a higher level
- Collection of laboratory specimen
- Workload capacity of a laboratory
Module 03: Laboratory Equipments
- Autoclaves, Ovens, Incubators, and Water-Baths
- Use of Autoclaves
- Periodic inspection and cleaning
- Hot-Air Ovens
- Mechanical Balances
- Electromagnetic Balances
- Good Working Practices-All Balances
- Unpacking, Siting, and Installation
- Special Tools/Spares/Requirements
- Recharging Lead-Acid Batteries
- Gas Cylinders and Gases
- Pipettes, Autopipettes, and Dispensers
Module 04: How to Work with Microscope
- Introduction to Microscope
- Purpose of the Equipment
- Installation Requirements
- Description of Potential Problems with Microscopes
- Binocular Head
- Internal Dust and Grime
- General Maintenance of the Microscope
- Installation and Storage
- Cleaning Procedures
- Cleaning of the Optical Elements
- Cleaning of the Microscope’s Body
- Maintenance of the Microscope
- Special Care in Warm Climates
- Special Antifungal Care in Humid Climates
- Removal of Fungal Hair
- Microscope Care
Module 05: Solutions Used in Medical Laboratory
- Solution, Solute and Solvent
- Reagent Solutions
- Staining solutions
- Standard solutions
- Buffer solutions
- Expressing the concentration of solutions
- Dilution of solution
- Diluting Body Fluids and Calculating Dilutions
Module 06: Sterilisation, Disinfection and Decontamination
- The process of sterilisation
- Physical Methods of Sterilisation
- Dry heat
- Moist heat
- Steam under pressure (autoclave)
- Types of Autoclaves
- Precautions in the Use of Autoclaves
- Mechanical and Chemical Methods of Sterilisation
- Disinfection and Decontamination of Laboratory Wastes Using Chemical Disinfectants
- Local Environmental Decontamination
- Decontamination of Biological Safety Cabinets
- Hand-washing/Hand Decontamination
- Heat Disinfection and Sterilisation
Module 07: How to Decontaminate Reusable Medical Devices
- The Decontamination Cycle
- Automated Cleaning
- Inspection and Function Testing
- Tray Selection
- Labelling of Sterile Medical Devices
- Transportation of Decontaminated Surgical Instruments and Medical Devices
- Storage of Sterile Medical Devices
Module 08: Laboratory Accidents and Safety
- Chemical hazards
- Physical Hazards
- Additional Laboratory Hazards
- Harmful effects of toxic chemicals.
- Injury from explosions.
- Electric shock.
- Fire FIghting Equipments
- Factors contributing to laboratory accidents
- First aid for laboratory hazards
- Planning for safety
Module 09: Quality Assurance
- The importance of quality assurance
- Types and causes of errors in medical laboratories
- The steps of the quality assurance program
Module 10: Standard Operating Procedures
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Effective Standard Operating Procedures
- Provision and Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Eye Protection
- Respiratory Protective Equipment
- Personal Hygiene
- Risks and Prevention of Blood-Borne Infections
- Procedures for Working with Diagnostic Specimens
- Procedures for Taking Blood Specimens
- Handling Specimens and Biological Agents
- Stock Cultures
- Media Preparation
- Handling Unfixed Specimens for Slide Preparation
- Electron Microscopy
- Action after Sharps Injury or Contamination with Blood or Other Body Fluids
Module 11: Glossary
- Different types of glossary used in the medical laboratory
How is the Laboratory Technician Diploma course assessed?
To successfully complete the Laboratory Technician Diploma course you must pass an automated, multiple-choice assessment. The assessment is delivered through our online learning platform. You will receive the results of your assessment immediately upon completion.
Will I receive a certificate of completion?
Upon successful course completion, you will qualify for a CPD certificate from One Education as proof of your new skills. Certification is available in PDF format, at the cost of £9, or a hard copy can be sent to you via post, at the cost of £15.
Who is this course for?
Whether you’re an existing Laboratory Technician or aspiring to be one, this Laboratory Technician Diploma course will enhance your expertise and boost your CV with key skills and an accredited qualification attesting to your knowledge.
The Laboratory Technician Diploma is open to all, with no formal entry requirements. All you need is a passion for learning, a good understanding of the English language, numeracy and IT, and to be over the age of 16.
Studying this Laboratory Technician Diploma course would benefit a range of careers, but would specifically boost employability in roles including:
- Laboratory Analyst
- Lab Technician
Questions and answers
No questions or answers found containing ''.
What are the nominal course hours for the Lab Tech Diploma?
Hi Mike, The total duration of the course is 6 hours. However, you will get a one year access to the course after purchasing and you can complete the course anytime within a year. Thanks.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
Ms dina makwana asked:
For how many years is this certificate valid for
Hi Ms Dina, The certificate will be valid for lifetime. Thanks.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.
OLIAM JOFREY asked:
HOW SHOULD I JOIN?
Hi Oliam, You just need to purchase the course to join it. Please, click on 'Add to Basket' tab from the course page to purchase the course. Thanks.This was helpful. Thank you for your feedback.