The National Extension College
Gain a global perspective on the fascinating world of business and develop transferable skills when you study IGCSE Business online.
Jump headfirst into the ‘real-world’ of business with our online Business IGCSE course – a perfect stepping stone for anyone wanting to make it big in business.
For budding entrepreneurs, future innovators or those already pursuing a career in business, studying IGCSE Business Studies online enables you to enhance and demonstrate your skills.
Written by business experts, our course materials cover topics such as business operations, marketing and business finance. As you progress, you’ll develop your critical thinking and analytical skills, which will be key to taking your first steps on the way to a successful career in business.
Why study Business?
Whether you’re starting out in your business career, or looking to further develop your skills, Business IGCSE provides a thorough understanding of the principles, terminology, concepts and methods you need to succeed.
This popular online distance learning course teaches sound business strategies that will enhance your employability and add-value in a variety of business organisations.
Section 1 – Business activity
- Business objectives
- Sole traders and partnerships
- Limited liability companies and public corporations
- Primary, secondary and tertiary activity
Section 2 – Influences on business
- Decisions on location
- Business and the international economy
- Government objectives and policies
- External factors
- Measuring success
Section 3 – People in business
- Organisational structure
- Internal and external communication
- Recruitment and selection
- Motivation and rewards
Section 4 – Business finance
- Sources of business finance
- Cash-flow forecasting
- Costs and break-even analysis
- Financial documents
- Accounts analysis
Section 5 – Marketing
- The market
- Market research
- The marketing mix: product
- The marketing mix: price
- The marketing mix: place
- The marketing mix: promotion
Section 6 – Business operations
- Economies and diseconomies of scale
- Improving productivity
Section 7 – Small business revision Introduction
- Investigating small businesses 1
- Investigating small businesses 2
Section 8 – Large business revision Introduction
- Investigating large businesses 1
- Investigating large businesses 2
You’ll have access to support from a personal tutor. All NEC tutors are subject experts, with experience of supporting online learners.
Meet Linda who is just one of our first-class business tutors:
“I am passionate about business, both from an academic and practical point of view. I have been since I was the MD of a Young Enterprise company when I was 17. Since then I have had many jobs in industry, have helped many charities and, more recently, taught the subject. I have been in the classroom for over 10 years, but also continue to support many small and new businesses to prosper. I believe that detailed feedback and encouragement to improve in small steps is the way to achieve educational potential which is the appeal of one-to-one online tutoring. My qualifications include a BSc in Business Studies, MA in Organisational Behaviour, PCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) and the graduate diplomas from several professional bodies, including the Institute of Marketing.”
What you need to know
- Edexcel 4BS1
- Online learning with support from a personal tutor
- Complete at your own pace
- Approx. 120-150* hours plus time for completing assignments
*The specification suggests that 150 hours is needed. You’ll also need time to complete assignments and prepare yourself for exams and some courses like English literature involve a lot of reading. Everyone is different so it’s impossible to say with certainty how long a course will take you, but you should expect to spend longer than 150 hours. Taken across the length of time we recommend, this equates to approximately 4 hours per week. This will increase if you choose to take it over a shorter time frame or may be less if you are retaking a subject and have covered a lot of of the course content .
- 9 assignments (one introductory) – these do not contribute towards your final grade
- No additional set texts required
- there are some recommendations you may wish to refer to for additional reading
- Internet access
- Computer operating system and browser to support learn@nec
Our course fees are open and honest to help you plan for any additional costs.
Your course fee includes:
- Access to learn@nec
- All the course materials you need to complete the course
- Support from a personal tutor for up to 18 months from your date of enrolment
- Assignment marking
- Guaranteed exam place
- NEC’s guide to study skills: How to Succeed as an Independent Learner
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar guide
- Time planner to help you plan your study timetable
- Information on how to apply for exams
Your course fee does not cover:
- Exam entry fees
- Recommended textbooks for additional reading
- Additional past paper marking
- Revision tutorial
- Optional tutorial
- Additional review
Exams and assessment
- 50% of marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
- 50% of marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
There is no non-exam assessment (NEA) for this course.
Additional support if you're under 18
We know that our younger students often need an extra helping hand with their studies. In our experience, learning online works best when the parents are involved, so when you enrol your child with NEC, you’ll have a unique set of services to help you to support your child.
- Your own log in to learn@nec to access the course so you can view the course materials and other information for yourself.
- Access to your child’s gradebook to help you to monitor progress and provide appropriate and timely intervention and support
- You’ll receive emails and forum posts so that you have all the examination and assessment updates/information provided by the NEC team
- Dedicated Parent Portal Pages and targeted blogs with updates/information/help and advice on many aspects of home education.
- Access to the Kudos career platform for young learners to explore career choices.
Who is this course for?
Studying IGCSE Business online is the perfect course if you:
- Have a general interest in business, and how business works.
- Are interested in setting up your own business.
- Want to explore a wide variety of applications and industries.
- Are keen to prove to future employers you possess sound reasoning and leadership skills, an analytical approach and can be innovative and agile in a range of contexts.
- No formal qualifications are required for this course
- An ability to read and write in English
- Studying Business at AS/A Level or higher levels.
- Strengthen your position to pursue a career in marketing, human resources, accounting, finance and production.
- NEC IGCSE Business course provides insight into the real world of business and prepares you for a wide range of career choices.
Questions and answers
Rating and reviews
There haven't been any reviews for this course yet.Leave a review
This course is advertised on reed.co.uk by the Course Provider, whose terms and conditions apply. Purchases are made directly from the Course Provider, and as such, content and materials are supplied by the Course Provider directly. Reed is acting as agent and not reseller in relation to this course. Reed's only responsibility is to facilitate your payment for the course. It is your responsibility to review and agree to the Course Provider's terms and conditions and satisfy yourself as to the suitability of the course you intend to purchase. Reed will not have any responsibility for the content of the course and/or associated materials.